Zaria club creates a safe space for African American women

Kyley Jameison and Sierra Bagley discuss BAC Women's group on ca
Zaria club President Kyley Jameison and Vice President Sierra Murdock pose for a portrait on the Tempe campus on Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2016.

Amidst racial controversy across college campuses nationwide, such as at University of Chicago and University of Missouri, a group of ASU students have fostered a sense of community with their group on campus, Zaria.

Zaria is a club that seeks to create a safe space on campus where African-American woman can meet to discuss things ranging from the treatment of women in the workplace to hair.

ASU psychology alumna Adelaide Dale said she formed the club in the spring of 2013 to fill what she saw as a void on campus.

“At one point I just got kind of fed up and I was like, 'Well, I’m going to start my own thing because I want a place for us to have conversations unapologetically about who we are as women,'” Dale said.

She said that when she formed the club, she didn’t want there to be a lot of set requirements for people to be a part of it, but that eventually some leadership and guidelines became necessary as the club grew.

“I wanted them to come freely,” Dale said. “I just wanted them to show up and be fed and to meet others, spiritually, emotionally, mentally.”

Broadcast journalism junior Sierra Murdock, the club’s community service chair, said she has always “been interested in empowered women” and that she has been interested in Zaria since she attended her first meeting.

“This was one of the first clubs that I came to their meetings and I was so excited to see the love and the atmosphere that was in the room when I went,” Murdock said.

She said she feels that Zaria is important because judgment and negativity are at an all-time high in the world.

“Zaria is a really great place for women to come and express what’s going on in the world and come forward in a judgment free zone,” Murdock said. “(To) come together with other like-minded women and be able to share stories.”

Journalism senior Kyley Jameison, Zaria's president, said that at the meetings, a member doesn’t necessarily have to share, but can choose to be a listener instead.

“We just make sure that it is a non-judgmental zone and that most of the conversation, whatever’s in that space, stays in that space,” Jameison said. “We want to make sure that if there’s anything personal, we aren’t sitting there talking about it after.”

She said the club has grown exponentially since she first joined and that she’s being careful in the process of handing it off because she wants to make sure they “keep that same spirit that was in the person that started it all.”

The club has had many discussions on a variety of topics, but Jameison’s favorite was a recent one where African-American businesswomen visited to share their experiences.

“It’s nice to know that not only are there people like that in those positions, but they’re looking to help other African-American women as well,” she said.

However, she said that even when they’re just talking about hair, there’s a deeper meaning and message to it.

“Regardless of your race or ethnicity, it’s important to understand perspective ... and Zaria’s a great place to learn about different people’s perspectives,” Jameison said.

Editor's Note: Due to a reporting error, a previous version of this article incorrectly stated the club's community service chair's position within the organization. The article has been updated with the correct information.

ASU Black and African Coalition, student government fight blackface

ASU's Black Artists and Designers club fosters artistic talent on campus

Reach the reporter at avcabral@asu.edu or follow @angeligagaa on Twitter.

×