Analyzing the draft stock of ASU’s NFL Combine participants

Both D.J. Foster and Christian Westerman look like solid NFL contributors.

Senior wide receiver D.J. Foster (8) catches a screen pass from redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici (2) against West Virginia during the Motel 6 Cactus Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2016, at Chase Field in Phoenix.

With the NFL Scouting Combine having just finished, NFL evaluators now have the requisite statistical measurements by which they scrutinize prospective players. As always, many players improved their draft stock dramatically, while just as many drew questions due to poor performance.

Only two players from Arizona State participated: wide receiver D.J. Foster and guard Christian Westerman. Let’s see how they performed at the Combine and how they project as NFL players.

D.J. Foster

Height: 5-foot-10

Weight: 193 pounds

Position: WR/RB

College Career: After attending Saguaro High School in Scottsdale, Foster became an instant contributor as running back for the Sun Devils, accumulating over 1,000 all-purpose yards his first three seasons, and earning Honorable Mention All-Pac-12 honors for the 2013 season. In 2015, Foster transitioned to wide receiver, catching 59 passes for 584 receiving yards and three touchdowns, while also gaining 280 yards rushing. He was the only Football Bowl Subdivision player with 1,500 career rushing and receiving yards coming into his senior year.

Scouting Report: With the NFL’s emphasis on the passing game, Foster offers the versatility that many teams seek from their playmakers. Foster timed especially well in the three cone drill, the 20-yard shuttle and the 60-yard shuttle, indicating the impressive agility, quickness and acceleration that he shows on tape. He’s a high-motor, balanced runner that always fights for extra yards, although he lacks elite breakaway speed, as evidenced by his 4.57 second 40-yard dash time. As a receiver, he possesses soft hands and the ability to track the ball without breaking stride. Foster is viewed by many as a bit of a “tweener,” lacking the height to play outside the numbers as a receiver and the bulk to break tackles on the inside. He will have to be used creatively by an offensive coordinator to find matchups where he can succeed.

Bottom Line: Foster reminds me a lot of Chargers running back Danny Woodhead. While his lack of stature has prevented him from obtaining an every-down role, he has nonetheless remained a strong contributor as both a receiver and a runner. Both he and Foster share many of the same traits, and Foster could be similarly successful in the right system.

Draft Projection: Third or fourth round.

Christian Westerman

Height: 6-foot-3

Weight: 298 pounds

Position: OG

College Career: Much like Foster, Westerman attended high school in the Phoenix-area at Hamilton High School in Chandler. He was ranked the No. 3 offensive tackle in his class and attended Auburn for his first two seasons before transferring to ASU. As a Sun Devil, Westerman played left guard and earned honorable mention All-Pac-12 for his stellar play.

Scouting Report: Westerman’s fluidity and athleticism are exceptional for an interior lineman. He ran the 12th-fastest 40-yard dash of any offensive lineman at the Combine at 5.17 seconds and possesses elite movement skills. He’s also mechanically sound and technically savvy, which along with his massive 11 7/8 inch hands, have helped him become terrific in pass protection. Most of the concerns surrounding Westerman deal with his strength, as he often lacks the ideal power that NFL teams desire in the run game. He assuaged these concerns somewhat though at the Combine, as he led all participants in bench press reps with 34.

Bottom Line: Westerman’s stock is rising rapidly. While his play strength is a legitimate concern, playing in a zone scheme would allow Westerman’s superior athleticism to shine through. While some scouts believe that he might make a better center than guard, it is undeniable that he possesses a very high floor at either position. Some have even compared him to Pro Bowl Center Alex Mack of the Cleveland Browns. That should give you an idea of how good the former Sun Devil could be.

Draft Projection: Second or third round.

Former ASU wide receiver Jaelen Strong selected in third round of NFL Draft

Damarious Randall selected 30th in 2015 NFL draft by Green Bay

Reach the reporter at bfryan@asu.edu or on Twitter @brennanryan27

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×