ASU baseball swept by No. 4 Oregon State

More first inning runs for the Beavers put the Sun Devils on their toes early.

Sophomore pitcher Eder Erives relieves starter Brett Lilek (not pictured) in a game against Oklahoma State, Friday, Feb. 13, 2015, at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. The Sun Devils defeated the Cowboys 5-3 on Saturday afternoon. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

ASU baseball entered Corvallis, Oregon, with an eight-game winning streak and an eye to start conference play on a high note. 

However, No. 4 Oregon State (15-2) flexed its muscles all weekend and completed a sweep of the Sun Devils with a 7-3 win on Sunday afternoon. 

Poor first inning performances has been a theme this weekend. On Saturday, sophomore Eli Lingos started on the mound for ASU (13-6), but failed to record a single out in what turned out to be a six-run first inning for the Beavers. Sunday wasn't much better. 

Sophomore lefty Reagan Todd pitched just 2/3 of an inning and gave up two runs, forcing head coach Tracy Smith to go to junior Eder Erives out of the bullpen. 

Although he gave up three runs in the fifth inning, Erives lasted 6 1/3 frames. Sophomore Grant Schneider, freshman Zach Dixon and senior Eric Melbostad each threw 1/3 of an inning and combined to finish out the game. 

In the ninth inning, Coltin Gerhart's two-run single to cut the deficit to 7-3 and created the potential to spark a rally. But just like the late rally in the ninth inning of Saturday's matchup, though, it was too little, too late. 

Oregon State right-hander Travis Eckert gave up just two hits and an earned run in eight strong innings while adding six strikeouts to pick up the win. His only run came on a sacrifice fly from ASU junior catcher Brian Serven. 

KJ Harrison went 2-for-4 with an RBI and Christian Donahue added a 3-for-5 performance with an RBI to lead the Beavers at the plate.

ASU will look to get back on track with a home midweek game against USD before hosting Utah in a three-game series starting on Thursday.

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or on Twitter @justintoscano3.

×