ASU men's basketball managing expectations in time of transition

In the midst of a disappointing end, the Sun Devils ushered in the optimism of a new beginning.

Tre Holder looks on during the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament on Wednesday, March 9, 2016, at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. ASU men's basketball lost 75-66.

LAS VEGAS – “Sometimes life is like that.”

ASU men’s basketball senior guard Gerry Blakes likened his final season as a Sun Devil to that of a roller coaster – though for him it was not one of the Big Apple Coaster variety like the one outside the New York New York Hotel, blocks from the MGM Grand Garden Arena - after Wednesday night’s loss to Oregon State.

The Sun Devils (15-17, 5-13 Pac-12) fell to the Beavers (19-11, 9-9 Pac-12) 75-66 to close out the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament, ASU’s second consecutive first round exit.

“We didn’t make enough plays,” Blakes said. “We didn’t make enough shots.”

It would be hard to argue that Blakes, who led all scorers with 20 points and was one of three Sun Devils with eight rebounds, was wrong in this assessment.

The million dollar question is, as always, why was ASU unable to muster a late comeback?

ASU only used seven players in its rotation, and starting sophomore point guard Tra Holder, junior forward Obinna Oleka, and senior forward Willie Atwood combined to shoot 0-for-10 from the field in the first half.

The Sun Devils had maintained a positive turnover margin in the regular season, but the combination of the active hands of senior guard Gary Payton II, the conference leader in steals per game, and a stout Oregon State defense made passing lanes narrow and induced some ill-advised entry passes that were tipped and picked off, leading to points in transition at the other end.

Head coach Bobby Hurley’s diagnosis was also blunt.

“We just didn’t have enough guys playing well,” Hurley said. “We only had two guys playing well, or at a level that you could win a conference tournament game.”

Despite a breakout sophomore season that earned Holder the acclaim of pundits and the distinction of being one of the top guards in the Pac-12, Hurley was unable to determine the cause of his floor general’s struggles.

“I can’t put a finger on it,” Hurley said. “He wasn’t himself out there, very quiet. Not what we needed tonight.”

Hurley also emphasized the need to manage expectations, even if his own personal goals for his team weren’t met.

Give Holder credit for embodying the relentless spirit that his coach has helped instill in him – he dug his way out of a first-half scoring drought and answered with nine second half points and seven assists.

This effort wasn’t lost on his teammates – just ask sophomore guard Kodi Justice.

“No one expected this out of Tra to start the season,” Justice said. “He had a great season, he played really well in non-conference and led us.”

One of the themes of this program in this time of transition has emerged when different players have stepped up when called upon.

Atwood, Blakes, and senior forward Eric Jacobsen will be remembered for their integral role in shaping a new era of Sun Devil basketball.

Justice said he was disappointed the Sun Devils couldn’t have sent out this year’s class of leaders and sources of emotional stability on a better note.

But as he, Blakes, and Hurley know, sometimes life is like that.

Reach the reporter at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×