ASU softball suffers loss to rival Arizona in the 7th inning

Breanna Macha would give up a two-run home run in the 7th inning to lose the game 5-4.

Sophomore pitcher Breanna Macha opened the Sun Devil home opener at Farrington Stadium in Tempe, AZ, on Thursday, Feb.11, 2016.

With a sold-out stadium, ASU was defeated in game two against rival Arizona.

No. 21 ASU softball (21-9, 0-2 Pac-12) came up short against rival No. 18 Arizona (20-8, 2-0 Pac-12) in the second game of the Territorial Cup.

In the first inning, the Wildcats drew an unearned run after a passed ball and sacrifice bunt sent a runner to third, eventually scoring on a sacrifice fly to right field that put Arizona up 1-0.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Breanna Macha (6-4, 3.79 ERA) started in the circle for her 16th appearance this season. She pitched seven innings and allowed six hits and five runs.

Co-interim head coach Letty Olivarez thought the defense helped Macha build her confidence throughout the tough game.

“I think Macha started off a little slow but she finally buckled down and showed up,” said Olivarez. “She ended fine and sometimes the luck isn’t in our favor and we just need to make adjustments with that.”

Arizona would contribute to their lead with a two-run home run in the third inning making it a 3-0 ballgame.

Junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales dedicated the errorless defensive game by ASU to Macha's pitching.

"I think Bri pitched a really good game because she kept giving us ground balls and easy plays so I think all of us on defensive did a really good job," said Gonzales.

The Sun Devils started to comeback after scoring their first run of the series in the third inning.

Freshman first baseman Ulufa Leilua was hit by a pitch and sent to third after junior catcher Sashel Palacios made a booming hit to the warning track in right field.

Palacios’ successful attempt to steal second base prompted a wild throw from Arizona’s catcher which allowed Leilua to steal home.

The Sun Devils got on the board 3-1 and their scoring didn’t stop there.

ASU came alive in the fourth inning to take the lead.

Sophomore right fielder Nichole Chilson and senior designated-player Katee Aguirre would both get singles with one out and runners on first and second.

That’s when Gonzales hit a three-run home run straight to centerfield, her eighth of the year.

“I was just trying to make an adjustment from my last at-bat where I was a little early and just got a good pitch,” said Gonzales.

The dominating fourth inning by ASU gave them a 4-3 lead.

However, the Wildcats answered with vengeance in the seventh inning to take back the lead.

With a runner on second base and two outs, Arizona managed to hit a two-run home run to win the game 5-4.

The heartbreaking loss came at the expense of Macha after walking the first batter of the inning.

“You can’t walk to lead-off hitter in the seventh inning,” said co-interim head coach Robert Wagner. “She gave us everything she had but it just wasn’t enough.”

Macha gave all the credit to Arizona’s Mandie Perez, who went 3-4 against the ASU right-hander.

“I give all the credit to her (Perez) because she is an amazing athlete and we could have gone about pitching to her differently but we didn’t,” said Macha.

Wagner thought the Sun Devils could have done more to clinch the win.

“Overall we have to get better at running, hitting and manufacturing more runs,” said Wagner.

ASU will look to win one tomorrow at 5 p.m. in order to avoid the sweep by Arizona. 

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×