ASU track and field athletes fail to qualify for NCAA finals

Tim White, Jamol James and Maggie Ewens each posted their worst rankings of the season in the NCAA Indoor Championships.

Jamol James

(Photo courtesy of ASU)

ASU track and field sent three competitors to the NCAA Indoor Championship over the weekend in Birmingham, Alabama.

Senior Jamol James, redshirt junior Tim White and redshirt sophomore Maggie Ewens' great performances throughout the season allowed them to qualify for the indoor championship.

James got into the 60-meter race due to a medical scratch that placed him for the 17th spot to the competing 16th spot. He was the first to compete, running on Friday.

Only the top six qualify for the finals. The seventh and eighth place are injury reserves for the top runners. James ended the competition .01 seconds too slow, ending in ninth place with a time of 6.63.

White and Ewen, both competing in field events, suffered similar results. White competed in the triple jumps on March 12 and failed to qualify for the next round, fouling out in his jump and disqualifying himself from a measurement.

Ewen had a tough go at shot put, ending in 15th place with a throw of 15.68 meters.

This was the lowest placement for all three ASU competitors in the entire indoor season. The team didn't score a single point in the competition, finishing unranked and proving to be the worst tournament the Sun Devils competed in.

This is a tough way for the indoor season to end for the Sun Devils but the team still has a lot of meets as the outdoor season will begin next week and will go until June.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×