From the Herberger Institute to L.A.

From the Herberger Institute to L.A.

From the Herberger Institute to Los Angeles, this alumnus is making huge musical strides.

Sabi Megwa, or SAB, grew up in South Phoenix and graduated from Arizona State University’s Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts with a degree in design management in 2013. While studying, a passionate hip-hop artist was born.

Through production, writing and performance, the 24-year-old is able to create a new and refreshing sound. Slow, rhythmic melodies and precise bass are infused with lyrics that focus on the hard work and infancy behind his passion. “I’ve been going crazy just trying to break out of the mold” is a crucial line in SAB’s music-based short film “LUSID.”

Although SAB now lives in Los Angeles, he doesn’t forget his roots in south Phoenix and his parents birthplace. SAB’s parents emigrated from South Africa and Nigeria, and they have instilled a very strong work ethic that he hopes to convey in his music.

He says he hopes his music will inspire students to combine their education and their passion.

Q: Who are some of your musical influences?

A: “Nas is my favorite emcee, rapper. I also drew inspiration from groups like Linkin Park. Timbaland is probably my favorite producer.”

Q: Based on your influences, how would you describe your own music?

A: “I’m an artist and a producer, so I would say my sound is unique in that when people hear me they’re not only hearing my message through the rapping, but also in my production. I hope when people listen to my music they are inspired to push themselves.

Q:When did you realize you wanted to perform?

A: “I realized that pretty early on when I started making music. I started producing first and then I started writing to my own music. Right after I created my first song (in 2011), that’s when I could see myself performing.”

Q: Have you experienced a moment when you thought, “Wow I really like doing this, and this is what I want to do”?

A: “After I first moved to (Los Angeles in 2014), I started running into some of my musical influences. It’s reassuring, like ‘Okay, I’m doing the right thing.’ One of the first weeks I moved to LA, I was working in a studio, I was walking down the hall and I bumped into Ludacris. Things like that.”

Q: What are some things you want to accomplish in production or performance?

A: “I think for every musician the honor of winning a Grammy is something they push toward. For me, it’s making music that people can relate to and being someone’s favorite artist  to put music out and have people no matter where they are from be able to relate in some fashion.”

Q: What did you study at ASU?

A: “My first year at ASU I was in the architecture program. My third year I switched to graphic design. There were other things, music mainly, that I wanted to veer my en- ergy toward. I finished with a (bachelor’s degree).”

Q: Sounds like while you were studying design, you were already thinking about pursuing music?

A: “I’d leave school or get off of work and music would be the first thing I would do when I got home. It was, and is, obviously something I’m passionate about. That was a sign, and that sign was something I wanted to make my career out of.”

Q: Do you think your design background affected your work ethic in any way?

A: “Absolutely. You can ask anybody in the art or design programs. Those guys don’t sleep. They’re always working on their craft. That definitely transferred over to my work ethic with music. It prepared me for my career and showed me the type of energy it required to excel at it. It’s going to be a lot of all nighters, and the design program definitely prepared me for that. It’s what I’m used to now. It doesn’t even seem like work when you’re passionate about it.”

Q: What advice can you give to students who aren’t studying music but want to pursue music?

A: “I would say definitely look at what your studying. For me, design definitely correlated with music. Take what you’re learning from other curriculums and apply it to music. You kind of just have to dive right into it.”

You can find SAB’s music at www.thesabstory.com

×