Tempe Police: Drunk driver crashes into used car dealership

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 36-year-old Tempe man was arrested March 8 on the 2600 block of North Scottsdale Road on suspicion of aggravated DUI, according to a police report.

The man was driving a silver Audi when he collided with a gatepost belonging to a used car dealership known as Plaza Motors just off Concord Boulevard, police reported.

A witness saw the man in the driver's seat of the running vehicle as he turned it off prior to losing consciousness, according to the report.

The man was transported to Scottsdale Osborn hospital for treatment, where the hospital staff reported the man smelled of alcohol, police reported.

Blood was drawn and the man’s reported blood alcohol content was .566, according to the report.

DMV records showed that the man’s license was suspended at the time of the incident, police reported.

The man was unresponsive while he was taken to the hospital and officers arrested him after he was medically cleared, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

A 25-year-old Tempe man was arrested March 7 on the 900 block of West Broadway Road on suspicion of trafficking stolen property and robbery, according to a police report.

The man was recorded walking into a Cricket Wireless store, police reported.

After talking with the store's clerk, the man reached over the counter top and took cell phones from the glass display case, according to the report.

The man walked behind the case and began fighting with the clerk after she approached him, police reported.

Following the argument, the man left the store, police reported.

The man was identified by police and when police contacted him at his home, he appeared to be wearing the same clothes as he had during the incident, police reported.

He also had injuries corresponding to the accident, according to the report.

After being arrested, the man admitted to the crime and told police he sold the phones to a Wireless Toy store in Mesa, police reported.

Reports compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Reach the assistant news editor at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×