Tempe Police: Man harasses woman in bar then knocks friend out

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incident Tuesday:

A 24-year-old Phoenix man was arrested March 13 on the 600 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of aggravated assault and disorderly conduct, according to a police report.

The man was harassing a woman inside Fat Tuesday, repeatedly asking her to go home with him after she told him to leave her alone, police reported.

After the bar closed, the man continued to berate the woman outside and refused repeated requests to leave her alone, according to the report.

The woman and her friend turned away to ignore him, but then the man punched the woman's friend in the face, police reported.

The punch knocked the friend unconscious, and he fell to the ground, police reported.

Later, doctors said the man had a brain bleed and an occipital bone break, according to the report.

The man ran away, but an officer later located him in the area, according to the report.

About 30 people in the area gathered around the unconscious man, causing the normal operations of the business to be disturbed, police reported.

The unconscious man was moved to St. Luke's Hospital after being treated by Fat Tuesday staff, according to the report.

The man said he punched the woman's friend because he said the friend was, "talking s--t," according to the report.

However, he later changed his story to say that the man accused him of molesting women and verbally attacked his family, saying that he would "take them out," police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Reach the assistant news editor at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×