ASU baseball drops game two against Washington State

Ryan Hingst got the start Friday night, but couldn't mirror last Friday's impressive outing.

Pitcher Chris Isbell makes his debut for ASU baseball against Nevada at on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2016, at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Ariz. He pitched two scoreless innings but ASU lost 11-5.

ASU baseball couldn’t get past Washington State Friday night, losing 9-3 in game two of the series.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Ryan Hingst, who pitched a no-hitter exactly one week ago against Utah, started on the mound for the Sun Devils. But Hingst only went three innings, giving up four runs on six hits with three walks and four strikeouts against the Cougars.

Senior right-handed pitcher Eric Melbostad came in to relieve Hingst for one inning in the fourth, where he gave up three runs on four hits to put the Cougars up 7-2 going into the fifth.

Head coach Tracy Smith would go through a total of six pitchers in Friday’s game.

Freshman left-handed pitcher Garvin Alston Jr. also took the mound for one inning before freshman right-handed pitcher Chris Isbell relieved him in the sixth for 1 1/3 innings.

Sophomore left-hander Tucker Baca replaced Isbell after he put runners on the corners in the seventh with one out. Baca would go 2/3 of an inning.

Freshman left-handed pitcher Connor Higgins came in for the bottom of the eighth, but the offense couldn’t rally in the top of the ninth to pull out the win.

WSU pitching held strong, allowing ASU only nine hits on the night with six total strikeouts.

Senior first-baseman David Greer led the Sun Devils at the plate going 2-for-4 with two doubles. Junior shortstop Colby Woodmansee also went 2-4.

The Sun Devils took game one against the Cougars 10-1 Thursday night. Friday’s results will again even up the Pac-12 record between the two teams at 2-6.

ASU will look to bounce back and take the series Saturday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. in Pullman.

Reach the reporter at haley.stesiak@asu.edu or follow @haley_stesiak on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×