ASU football's offensive line finding its stride

The Sun Devils must replace four starters on the front lines, but off-field camaraderie has helped fill the gaps.

Tashon Smallwood (90) faces off against Sam Jones (76) in a drill during Friday's practice. 1 April 2016

The ASU football program is in a state of flux, with important positions across the depth chart up for grabs. While the quarterbacks and defensive backs have been getting many of the headlines, the offensive line has been an important point of evaluation.

With only redshirt senior Evan Goodman returning for his second season at left tackle, offensive line coach Chris Thomsen has given all available options looks across the line of scrimmage to find the best available group to move into fall camp as the starters.

"There are four new starters, but three of the four that are starting right now have legitimate game experience, not mop-up game experience," Thomsen said. "They know what a Pac-12 game feels like, so that has made the transition much better."

Redshirt sophomore Sam Jones is one of those players vying for an open spot, as he's been getting a majority of the first team snaps at left guard, right next to Goodman.

Jones filled in at guard and tackle at times last season when others were hurt or ineffective, and started three games, twice in place of Goodman and once for the departed Billy McGehee.

With that experience under his belt, Jones is confident he'll be able to step in well, as he's liked what the unit has done in the first four weeks of practices.

"I'm really happy with it," Jones said. "I think we're coming together really well."

Jones said his experiences on and off the field with his fellow first team players has helped the transition feel easy, at least from their perspective.

"Most of us have been here and a lot of us have played together throughout the years," Jones said. "So it doesn't really feel that new to us, I guess."

Thomsen agreed, saying he's been impressed with what's been going on up front.

Despite that, he added that the competition is open, and likely will be open well into fall camp.

"It's not set by any means," Thomsen said. "I would compare it to our quarterback deal. A lot of the positions on our team could go all the way through training camp next year."

"I'm seeing a lot of good things from some of our backup players on the o-line," Thomsen said. "They're a little bit younger, so they're a step behind at times, but I do see flashes where I think they'll be ready to compete better. But they've got to come in and do that."

Namely, Thomsen mentioned redshirt freshmen Zack Robertson and Steven Miller and redshirt sophomore Connor Humphreys as possibilities to crack the rotation. He also said redshirt junior Corey Smith, who recently converted from the defensive line, has been impressive in the beginning stages of his offensive career.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×