ASU water polo's Abbey Kerth finds key role in breakout season

After her years coming off the bench, the senior center is now a top scoring threat.

Senior Abbey Kerth goes head to head with the UofP offense during a match-up on Sunday, March 20, 2016, at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex in Tempe.

To call senior center Abbey Kerth the most improved player for ASU women’s water polo is an understatement.

Over her four years, Abbey has been accustomed to being a player that comes off the bench, but it’s this year that Kerth has emerged as the team’s prime offensive threat. Don’t think for a second that this journey was a cake walk because Kerth has put in her dues.

“I think over the past few years I have been a really good teammate, playing my role coming off the bench and being strong off the bench,” Kerth said. “I think learning so much in the last few years has led me to have my breakout year this year."

This week, the senior received Mountain Pacific Sports Federation women’s water polo player of the week honors. Kerth has amassed 63 career goals, 185 kickouts drawn and 48 steals. She has been a force for this program this year, playing inside to get into the teeth of the defense and scoring.

However, Kerth has not always been the dynamic offensive threat that she is this year. In Kerth’s freshman and sophomore years, she was known for cheering, being a good teammate and coming off the bench.

Looking back, Kerth said she didn’t imagine she would have this type of impact.

“I wasn’t really expecting to ever be a big player on this team," she said. "I was just always excited to be a part of it.”

Prior to this year, Kerth has played behind two All-American centers. Her freshman year, it was Shannon Haas, and the next two years it was Alkistis Benekou. It could have been easy for Kerth to become complacent or become discouraged, but she did the exact opposite. The potential was always there, but she just needed to wait for the right time to break out.

Senior defender and captain Katie Sverchek has been teammates and roommates with Kerth for all four years.

Ever since freshmen year, she has been a really hard worker,” Sverchek said. “She obviously didn’t play as much her freshmen year. ... I remember freshman year we were really scared to be put in games.”

In Kerth’s freshmen year, she struggled at center position and could not find a way to get goals off. Almost four years later, the Sun Devils consider Kerth their biggest scoring threat.

Now, she’s the biggest offensive threat we have," Sverchek said. “Teams can’t press up front because if we get the ball into the center, opponents will be (in trouble). Every time I pass it to her, I know she’s going to score if she gets the ball in her hand.”

Kerth said she never got discouraged, her mentality was just to work hard.

“I’ve just been working hard all four years,” she said.” I think I’ve played a lot of good water polo in the past four years, this is just the first time that I’m actually scoring and statistically making a difference rather than just being a good teammate.”

Lastly, Kerth said her favorite memory about this team is the unity and selfless identify this team has adopted.

“There isn’t just one star on this team, everyone is contributing off and on the bench,” she said. “I think it’s more of a team effort than I have ever been on and it’s so hard to defend us because we have so many weapons on our team this year.”

The season is winding down; the Sun Devils have three weeks left, but they will all be road games. ASU will begin the road trip with a doubleheader this weekend against MPSF San Jose State at 11 a.m. PT before taking on CSU Monterey Bay at 2 p.m.

Related links:

A Sun Devil's guide to water polo

Katie Sverchek's five goal performance helps ASU water polo sweep weekend

Reach the reporter at chaz.frazier@asu.edu or follow @chaz_frazier on Twitter.

×