Sun Devil baseball crushes Wildcats in first game of series

ASU baseball earned five runs in the first inning to set a tone for their beatdown.

ASU baseball's Gage Canning dives back towards first base during a game against California at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona, on Saturday, April 16, 2016.

ASU baseball crushed its in-state rival Arizona in the first game of the team's series, winning 5-2.

The Sun Devils started the game with a strong first inning, during which freshman Gage Canning got himself a triple. After a walk from junior David Greer, junior Colby Woodmansee hit a single that sent Canning home for the first RBI of the game.

However, that was just the beginning of what would become a beating for Arizona, as the Sun Devils batted four more runs in their first inning alone to bury the Wildcats.

These five runs came from four hits and a costly error as well.

Although the Wildcats made the same amount of hits as the Sun Devils throughout the game, six, they never could capitalize those hits into runs against ASU.

It took Arizona until the fifth inning to get a hit, and the team made its first run during the game's seventh inning.

The Sun Devil's defense created opportunities to make several plays thoughout the game, cutting off Arizona's momentum any time it rose.

Although the Sun Devils crushed Arizona in their first game, they will face the Wildcats again on Saturday and Sunday.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×