Weekend Recap: Sun Devil softball breaks losing streak, sweeps Stanford

After losing 12 in a row, ASU softball took down the Cardinal over the weekend.

Junior Kelsey Kessler (#44) and Senior Katee Aguirre (#24) do a little handshake before a play at the home game versus Texas Tech on Thursday, March 24, 2016.

ASU softball entered this weekend on a 12-game losing streak, but big wins against Stanford got ASU its first sweep since March 26.

The Sun Devils had won five in a row as of April 1, before proceeding to 13 of its next 14 games. On Friday, the efforts of pitcher Kelsey Kessler and the Sun Devil hitters ended the streak.

Friday

Coincidentally, Stanford had also lost 12 in a row before Friday's match and tabbed pitcher Carolyn Lee as the evening’s starter. She’d face junior right-hander Kelsey Kessler for the Sun Devils.

Lee would allow a run in the first and three in the second. She finished the day with two total innings pitched, surrendering five runs on three hits with five walks and no punchouts. Sophomore Haley Snyder also pitched in relief, going 2 1/3 with four runs on eight hits and a pair of walks.

On offense, first baseman Fa Leilua and outfielder Jennifer Soria each had two RBI, while second baseman Nikki Girard had three. Soria’s night included a home run.

The Sun Devils won 9-1.

Saturday

The next game, sophomore pitcher Breanna Macha took the win, pitching four innings and allowing four runs on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts. She allowed just one extra-base hit to 20 batters faced.

Dale Ryndak also pitched, going three innings with one run allowed.

The Sun Devil offense picked up the pitching by driving in six to get the narrow win. Senior designated player Katee Aguirre drove in four of those runs, going 2-for-3 with a double and a home run.

Stanford’s Haley Snyder got the loss, Ryndak got the save.

ASU beat Stanford 6-5.

Sunday

The third game of the series more closely resembled the blowout win ASU enjoyed on Friday, as the Sun Devils scored 10 runs, driven in by five different players on Sunday.

Junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales drove in four with two sac flies and a two-RBI single. Girard, Aguirre, Leilua and sophomore first baseman Margaret Stahm also picked up RBIs.

Pitcher Haley Snyder saw action again on Sunday, getting the loss again but also driving in two runs with her 2-for-4 day.

Kessler and Ryndak split up the pitching duties for ASU. Kessler received the win in four innings, allowing one run, while Ryndak got the save in three innings and three runs allowed.

The Sun Devils completed the sweep with a 10-4 win.

Reach the reporter at matt.layman@asu.edu or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

×