ASU mass emails faulty scholarship information to students

Students leaving the Memorial Union on Monday, Nov. 2, 2015, on the Tempe campus.

ASU sent several students an email on June 10 saying their scholarships would only be renewed by 80 percent for the upcoming academic year, even to students who met or exceeded the standards for a 100 percent renewal.

Junior women and gender studies major Maria Pakulis said she was surprised to see the initial, incorrect information that she would not receive full funding for the upcoming academic year. 

"I was shocked and really worried," she said. "Because I obviously don't want any of my scholarship money being reduced."

Pakulis said she was particularly perplexed because she knew she had not fallen beneath the criteria for a complete renewal of the scholarship. 

"I was also really confused," Pakulis said. "I immediately went to My ASU and looked at how many credits I had taken last year and what my GPA was and it just didn't make any sense."

After reading the email and perusing her performance in the previous year, Pakulis said she called the telephone number included in the ASU email and was relieved to hear the email was a clerical error.

"I think they did handle it really well," she said. "Obviously I'll just have to wait to make sure that everything does actually get applied like it should be, but since they're aware of the situation, I'm pretty confident that they're going to fix it."

The University also sent out an email to students who received incorrect information, according to an ASU spokesperson.

"You may have received an email yesterday with inaccurate information about your New American University scholarship renewal," the email read. "This email was sent to you in error, and we apologize for any confusion this may have caused."

Although the University did not issue an official statement regarding the incident, a University hotline plays a recorded message stating that the email was sent out in error and the issue will be completely resolved by June 15.

Reach the reporter at jwbowlin@asu.edu or follow @mrjoshuabowling on Twitter.

×