ASU football completes first in-stadium scrimmage

Coach Todd Graham expounded on quarterback drama and key performers in Saturday's scrimmage.

ASU redshirt sophomore quarterback Manny Wilkins drops back to pass during a morning practice on Tuesday, August 16th, 2016 at the Kajikawa Practice Fields in Tempe.  

With two weeks until ASU football kicks off its season against Northern Arizona, the Sun Devils stepped inside the newly renovated Sun Devil Stadium for the first time in 2016 on Saturday. 

"We had a good day," Graham said. "It was nice to go in the stadium to get more of a game-like situation."

According to Graham, the Sun Devils ran about 140 plays — including special teams — over the course of the morning, which he helped along by managing tempo rather than focusing on individual players.

Graham did say that he was impressed with two players in particular: redshirt sophomore defensive back Tyler Whiley and redshirt junior wide receiver Cameron Smith. He also said ASU entered the scrimmage with an idea of who would be on the two-deep depth chart opening week and the scrimmage certainly helped solidify the rotation against Northern Arizona.

"We'll have to settle in because starting Tuesday we have a regular in-season practice," Graham said. "Then we'll have two weeks of preparation for NAU, so we'll have our depth settled going into that."

With one major exception, that is.

Graham was coy regarding the performance and rankings of the quarterbacks following Saturday's showcase, giving short, indecipherable answers.

On how they played: "Good, solid."

On the possibility of playing two quarterbacks in the first game: "Anything is possible."

Lack of fluid information is a hallmark of football coaches everywhere. That is especially true when it comes to battles at a position like quarterback, where game planning is at its most important.

"We're not going to alternate series with quarterbacks," Graham said. "But if it's close enough, it might be a deal where we (make a move) on the first series of the second quarter."

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×