A student's guide to Phoenix and Tempe

A student's guide to Phoenix and Tempe

Finding new and exciting things to do near your campus can be next to impossible, especially in a city as spread out as Phoenix. You may begin to feel as if you have seen everything that there is to see, and you are destined to eat the same food, shop the same places and go to the same spots in your free time. However, Phoenix is a scavenger hunt: all sorts of fresh and cool spots are everywhere, you just have to hunt for them. This is your guide to some of the essential places to go for great eats, shopping and entertainment, whether you are at the Phoenix or Tempe campus!

TEMPE CAMPUS

Best Coffee: Cartel Coffee Lab

If you are looking for a high-quality coffee shop with an ambiance that helps to focus on studying, Cartel is an important spot for you. With an in-house roastery and any type of coffee style you could imagine, this is a great place to have a nice, dark roast and be in the zone for long periods of time.

Best Shopping: T.Madison

Located on the border of Tempe and Chandler, T.Madison is a local curated clothing, home, and apothecary shop that is nothing short of a design student’s wonderland. You can expect to be greeted warmly by the staff and find an assortment of different goods that you won’t find anywhere else in Tempe.

Best Food: Green

It can be difficult finding fast, healthy food to accommodate your busy schedule, and Green is one of the prime spots in Tempe to eat healthy on a budget. Everything is free of animal products without abridging deliciousness: be sure to try one of their soy milkshakes or a sandwich. 

Best Entertainment: Marquee Theater

A prime spot for bands to play when coming through the Phoenix-Tempe area, the Marquee Theater is an easy walk from the Tempe campus, just on the other side of Tempe Town Lake. Bands and musicians across all genres play here, so there is something for everyone, and most events are open to people under 21.

PHOENIX CAMPUS

Best Coffee: Futuro

Futuro is a serene, minimalist space adorned with mid-century modern chairs and large work tables. Located a block away from the Downtown campus, Futuro is an ideal place to go for a caffeine fix between classes. There is no menu, however, so be sure to go in knowing what you want! Order a simple cold brew or latte, or grab an espresso and tonic water if you’re feeling like trying something new and adventurous. 

Best Food: Phoenix Public Market

Just across the street from school, Phoenix Public Market is a must-have for students, especially those who live on the Downtown Phoenix campus. Almost everything is health-conscious and local, and you can grab a huge breakfast plate for just under eight dollars. They also offer a student discount if you show your SunCard.

Best Shopping: Melrose District

The Melrose District is the perfect choice for a unique shopping day. The area is a whole line of vintage and antique shops that sell anything you can put your mind to, from clothes, to cameras, to home goods. It’s best to make a day out of it with a friend; you may need the whole day. 

Best Entertainment: Crescent Ballroom

Crescent Ballroom is the ideal spot to go if you want to see a band that typically plays small venues with standing floors. Half a bar and half a venue, Crescent Ballroom’s events are often 21 and over, but a lot of bands will play all-ages shows. Performers such as Kate Nash, Father John Misty, and Aesop Rock have come through there, so it is definitely a prime spot to get your live music fix!

×