Report Card: Grading ASU football's 51-41 win over California

The Sun Devils started off their conference slate on the right foot, stomping out the Golden Bears

ASU wide receiver, Tim White (12) fends of a tackle during the first half of the football game versus the California Golden Bears in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016.

Valedictorian: Manny Wilkins

Junior running backs Kalen Ballage (six carries) and Demario Richard (19 carries) combined for just 88 yards on the ground Saturday, while redshirt sophomore quarterback Manny Wilkins ran for three touchdowns on 72 yards and was the leading Sun Devils rusher. Wilkins also threw for 390 passing yards and got sophomore tight end Jay Jay Wilson in on the scoring action with a 30-yard touchdown pass, the first of his career.

It was a game of unsung heroes in many respects – redshirt sophomore receiver Jalen Harvey had the best game of his career, hauling in five catches for 83 yards. Only redshirt senior Tim White had more yards for the Sun Devils. 

Wilkins quietly managed another efficient and mostly mistake-free game, completing 70 percent (21 of 30) of his passes and threw one interception. Where Wilkins earned Valedictorian honors Saturday were back-to-back methodical scoring drives in the fourth quarter, calmly leading the Sun Devils down the field 62 and then 77 yards to rally back after trailing by a touchdown. 

Junior quarterback Davis Webb threw for 478 yards and five touchdowns, but also tossed two costly interceptions, including one that was returned for a pick-six by redshirt senior linebacker Laiu Moeakiola and another to redshirt senior Salamo Fiso, who returned his interception for 22 yards. Fiso and sophomore cornerback Kareem Orr led the way for the Sun Devils with nine total tackles.

Orr and redshirt sophomore safety Armand Perry (eight tackles) locked horns with the nation's second best wideout (by total yardage) – redshirt junior wide receiver Chad Hansen – and effectively took him out of the game in the second half. For good measure, redshirt senior defensive lineman Edmond Boateng sacked Webb in the final minute of the fourth quarter (the fourth sack of the game by an ASU defensive player) and forced a fumble that was recovered by junior linebacker Koron Crump, leaving the Sun Devils at +3 for the evening's turnover margin. 

Not only did junior linebacker D.J. Calhoun recover Cal's desperation onside kick attempt, he ran it 42 yards for a touchdown thanks to a poorly executed kick that gave him a free lane to the end zone.

Senior kicker Zane Gonzalez became the all-time leader in field goals for ASU, passing Luis Zendejas when Gonzalez notched his 82nd field goal from 35 yards, and then two more from distances of 44 and 23 yards, respectively.

Tim White was once again the all-purpose yardage leader with 163 total yards. 

Senior punter Matt Haack was spot-on as usual, averaging 50 yards per punt (with a long of 57) and each time pinning the Golden Bears inside their own 20 and twice at or inside their own 5-yard line. Cal only started beyond its own 25-yard line twice, once in ASU territory following an interception and the other at its own 36-yard line on a 21-yard return from freshman Demetris Robertson. 

ASU storms back to down Cal

ASU football's curses portend its blessings in first Pac-12 win

Reach the reporter at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×