2016 Pac-12 soccer power rankings

Breaking down ASU's counterparts in the Pac-12 this season so far

Sophomore midfielder Adriana Orozco dribbles around the slide tackle made by the Loyola Chicago midfielder in the 4-0 win against Loyola Chicago in Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, August 26, 2016. Orozco added in the second goal of the night in the 29th minute.

As conference play heads into its second week, the Pac-12 soccer is starting to take shape. The top tier is dominated by Stanford, while ASU is fighting to stay in the middle of the pack.

1. No. 1 Stanford

2015 Record: 19-2-2

2016 Record: 8-0-1

The Cardinal holds a 97-19-11 conference record since 2003 – head coach Paul Ratcliffe's first season. No. 1 Stanford boasts a deep lineup with six seniors and welcomed eight freshmen onto the team. Senior goalkeeper Jane Campbell and junior midfielder Andi Sullivan were named to the watch list for the Missouri Athletic Club's Hermann Trophy, the highest honor in collegiate soccer. 

During non-conference games Stanford faced three top 25 teams including No. 6 Florida, No. 22 Minnesota, and No. 18 Notre Dame. The Cardinal beat Florida and Minnesota while tying Notre Dame, proving how strong they are against non-conference teams. Stanford won the Pac-12 conference in 2015 and is on a steady pace to repeat.

2. No. 11 UCLA

2015 Record: 8-10-1

2016 Record: 7-2

During non-conference play, UCLA’s two losses came from No. 6 Florida and No. 20 North Carolina. The Bruins’ freshman class was ranked No. 1 by Top Drawer Soccer Top 100 with seven freshmen added to the roster. No. 11 UCLA is second in the Pac-12 with 22 goals this season, averaging 2.33 per game while freshman Jessie Fleming is leading the conference with seven goals. UCLA did not make tournament play last season but is proving to be a powerhouse with the impact of their freshman class.

3. No. 16 USC

2015 Record: 15-6-2

2016 Record: 7-2

The Trojans were knocked out in the third round of the NCAA Tournament last season with a 2-0 loss against then-No. 1 Virginia. Last season the Trojans regularly struggled with consistency on the front line. Then-juniors, Morgan Andrews scored 12 of the overall 36 goals for USC while the next closest goal scorer was Sydney Johnson scoring five goals. 

So far in the 2016 campaign, USC is tied for second in goals scored with 21. The Trojans are also leading the conference with seven shutouts in nine games played. USC has seemed to eliminate the inconsistency in its front line and continues to prove themselves amongst top-tier teams.

4. No. 24 Oregon

2015 Record: 6-13

2016 Record: 6-3-1

Last season Oregon finished 10th overall in the Pac-12. The Ducks scored only 14 goals on the year and weren’t even on the spectrum for statistical leaders in the conference. Now, Oregon welcomes 10 newcomers onto the squad including eight freshmen. The Ducks have already surpassed last years’ goals scored, posting 15 goals on the season so far. Head coach Kat Mertz is in her fourth season at the helm of the program and is proving her team’s work in the offseason and summer is making all the difference.

5. California

2015 Record: 13-5-3

2016 Record: 8-2-0

Last season the California Golden Bears finished fourth in the Pac-12 and lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The heartbeat of Cal’s team rests on senior Arielle Ship, who is the reigning Pac-12 Player of the Year and was named to the 2016 Hermann Trophy Watch List. Cal has only allowed four goals into its net this season, which ties for first in the Pac-12, and leads the conference with seven shutouts in 10 games.

6. No. 22 Utah

2015 Record: 7-10-3

2016 Record: 6-2-1

Utah lost six key seniors due to graduation last year and needed to replace the energy and talent, so they welcomed 10 new players to the roster. The Utes lost in non-conference play to two soccer power houses, No. 22 Minnesota and No. 2 Brigham Young. Utah has a young team with 11 freshmen and eight sophomores. During this season Utah will either reveal a lack of experience and falter during conference play or, they will reveal how talented this young team really is.

7. Colorado

2015 Record: 7-10-3

2016 Record: 7-3

Colorado finished last in the Pac-12 conference last season. They allowed 27 goals while only recording 24. The Buffs graduated eight seniors resulting in a predominantly young team with nine sophomores gracing the roster and a freshman recruiting class of five. There is nowhere to go but up for the Buffs after an unimpressive 2015 season. So far Colorado has scored 20 goals and are on track to exceed last seasons goal quota. Freshman Taylor Kornieck is leading the Pac-12 in shots with 42 and is tied with an array of players for second place with six goals this season.

8. Arizona

2015 Record: 14-6-2

2016 Record: 5-3-1

Last season, Arizona finished fifth in the Pac-12 conference and went on a run during the NCAA Tournament, making it to the third round before being beaten by No. 1 Stanford 3-0. Now, the Wildcats welcomed 11 freshmen to the 2016 team after graduating six seniors last year. Eight different players have contributed to the 17 goals scored this season, showing depth and a possibility of another successful season.

9. Arizona State

2015 Record: 9-8-1

2016 Record: 5-3-1

ASU lost nine seniors to graduation last year, including superstar forward Cali Farquharson. However, the Sun Devils welcomed five freshmen who are making a positive impact. Junior Jazmarie Mader has stepped up her game this season scoring six goals. There has been a battle between goalkeepers after also losing redshirt senior Chandler Morris who was consistent for the Sun Devils. ASU needs more impact players to step up in order to clench another winning season but have the talent and grit to do well.

10. Oregon State

2015 Record: 6-10-3

2016 Record: 5-3-2

The Beavers finished 10th in the Pac-12 conference last season and have a veteran team returning to the pitch. Its non-conference play this season didn’t boast impeccable statistics besides beating Michigan State in East Lansing. The Beavers have only scored 13 goals so far and are leading the conference in goals allowed with 13. The team isn’t showing signs of a dominating defense or offense. With Pac-12 play in full swing, it won’t be surprising to see the Beavers stay quiet this season.

11. Washington State

2015 Record: 14-6-0

2016 Record: 5-3-1

WSU was beaten in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last year by Northwestern. They lost only four seniors and were evenly distributed between veterans, young sophomores and freshman. So far this season they have scored 14 goals and allowed seven. Freshman Morgan Weaver leads the team after scoring six goals in nine appearances. 

The cougar’s goalkeeper junior Ella Dederick was listed as the 10th-best collegiate goalkeeper in the country after tallying 99 saves during the 2015 season, the most by a WSU goalkeeper since 2008. While she has allowed seven goals so far, the front line needs to find consistency.

12. Washington

2015 record: 12-7-2

2016 Record: 5-4-1

Last season, Washington was middle of the pack and finished in sixth place while also making their 14th NCAA Tournament appearance. The Huskies are returning 19 veterans and bringing in nine new student-athletes to the roster. Junior Shannon Simon was Washington’s leading goal scorer last year and is leading her team this season with six goals. However, Washington lacks a dominating front line. They are last in the conference in goals scored with a meager 12.

ASU soccer loses to UCLA 2-0 in first game of conference play

Futbol, faith and collide for ASU soccer's Lucy Lara

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

×