The hills are alive with Gammage’s newest coming production

'The Sound of Music' comes to Gammage Oct. 18 - 23

Captain von Trapp, played by Ben Davis, and the von Trapp Children performing Edelweiss.

While it may not be climbing every mountain and fording every stream, “The Sound of Music” has been making its way around North America and is coming to Arizona audiences this month.

Three-time Tony winner Jack O’Brien, who has worked on award-winning productions such as “The Coast of Utopia,” “Henry IV” and “Hairspray,” directs the live production of the musical coming to Gammage Auditorium from Oct. 18 - 23.

This production of the iconic musical arrives hot on the heels of its 50th anniversary and its recent television production in 2013 that was viewed by over 44 million people, according to The Sound of Music On Tour’s website.

Andy Einhorn, music supervisor for The Sound of Music On Tour, said that this is the first time the production has been out on the road in a number of years.

“The idea was to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the movie and to reintroduce audiences to the stage version, which is actually a little different than the film version," Einhorn said.

The film, released in 1965, is based on the Rodgers and Hammerstein original musical, "The Sound of Music."

It follows a woman named Maria Rainer who leaves her convent to work for a Naval officer/widower, Captain von Trapp, and to take care of his children. Through song and care of the family, she comes to love them all as her own. This all takes place during the beginning stages of Nazi Germany, and moves into the Austrian town where they all live.

“People tend to forget that Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote social and politically charged musicals,” Einhorn said.

He said he calls the film version of the musical a "bubblegum and candy version" of what the story really is.

“I think what this production successfully does is remind us what the true nature of the story is, which is a love story, set against the backdrop of an incredibly tumultuous time for our world,” he said.

He said his job was to re-examine the music and make sure that it was serving this stage production as best as it could.

When asked about a moment in the musical that he enjoyed most when re-exploring the show for this production, he said the moment for him when things start to really click is during the song, “My Favorite Things.

“In the stage production [‘My Favorite Things’] is not set with the children in the bedroom," said Einhorn. "It’s actually a scene between Mother Abbess and Maria."

One of the things he said they really explored was that these women are more alike than they are given credit for.

“They are cut from the same cloth,” Einhorn said. “When they start singing the song together, there is this bond that is formed between them.”

The pay-off, he said, is clear at the end of the first act when the two share a moment about Maria’s future.

Ben Davis, playing one of the lead roles as Captain von Trapp, said this moment in the musical is one of his favorites as well.

“’My Favorite Things’ lyrically is my favorite song in the show,” Davis said.

Davis had many favorite moments from different aspects of the musical, but he said that so far on the tour his favorite moment of all would be watching Kerstin Anderson take her bows as the show's other lead, Maria.

“I think opening night seeing her do such an amazing job and watching her take her bows, I was very, very proud of her, and I couldn’t stop smiling,” he said.

As for Davis, he said that playing the iconic character of Captain von Trapp is a freeing experience he can make his own. He said what he wants audiences to take away from his character is his humanity.

“Throughout the show there is a sense of growth and change in my character,” Davis said. “Anytime [I] play a character, I would hope to show the humanity within that character and how circumstances change that character.”

Criminal justice senior Dani Zissis is a bartender at Gammage, and said “The Sound of Music” is one of her favorite productions, even though she is not musically inclined.

“I don’t think you have to be a singer or an actress to like [musical theater],” Zissis said. “I think I’ve learned more about that working at Gammage."

The many themes of the musical, she said, were what she loved about the production.

“I like how it brings happiness in a dark time," she said. "It’s a feel-good musical, but it has depth to it,” Zissis said. “My mom loves it, my grandma loves it. I love it. So it’s not for just one generation.”

"The Sound of Music’s" opening night at Gammage starts Oct. 18 at 7:30 p.m. with shows until Oct. 23.

Those who wish to attend may find tickets at the ASU Gammage website. Ticket prices and seating vary.

Reach the reporter at balnero13@gmail.com or follow @BaldnerOwen on Twitter.

Like  The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×