ASU football readies Brady White

The redshirt freshman quarterback has a week to get prepared for a tough UCLA team.

ASU Sun Devils quarterback Brady White (2) walks back toward the line of scrimmage after a play in the second half of a game against the USC Trojans in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016.

When redshirt sophomore quarterback Manny Wilkins went down after a sack during the ASU football team's loss at USC Saturday, redshirt freshman quarterback Brady White thought nothing of it.

"I've seen Manny bounce back up before, so I wasn't sure if it was serious or not," White said.

But when ASU's training staff began to hustle on to the field to tend to the injured starter, the Sun Devils instantly became White's team.

Being thrust into a game down 27-6 on the road is no easy task, and it looked like it for White, who did not record a first down until ASU's first drive of the fourth quarter.

White and ASU went back to work on the practice field Tuesday to help correct some mistakes made, which is a lot easier to do following a game situation that only analyzing practice performance.

Against the Trojans, White was 6-for-13 through the air for 80 yards and led two fourth quarter touchdown drives against mostly backups.

"I think it's very helpful to have a whole half to go in and play," White said. "I'm happy that our guys didn't quit and that we went and finished strong."

Despite the struggles, it appeared White improved as the game went on and head coach Todd Graham said he's still confident in the redshirt freshman.

"I've got all the confidence in the world in him," Graham said. "He's a guy that is prepared and worked hard and I thought he did a good job when he was in there last week."

This refrain is similar to the dialogue coming from Graham and the rest of the Sun Devils before the season when White was competing to be the starting quarterback in week one. 

The battle between Wilkins and White seemingly lasted forever, as Wilkins was announced as the opening day starter just 24 hours before the ball was kicked off the tee at Sun Devil Stadium, but head coach Todd Graham said the team knew well before that.

It is not certain whether White will be the guy lining up behind center Saturday night against UCLA, as Graham said Wilkins is "questionable to doubtful" to play, but the preparation remains constant for White, constantly working to improve.

"Every day I'm going to be preparing as if I'm the guy, as if I've been the guy," White said. "Football is a sport where there's many things that can happen and you never know when your number is going to be called, so I always want to be ready, whether it is my time or someone else is going."

ASU's many flaws exposed in first loss to USC

Q&A with sports editors of the Daily Trojan

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×