Report Card: Grading ASU football's 37-32 loss to Washington State

Evaluating the Sun Devils and their homecoming game performance

ASU Sun Devils linebacker DJ Calhoun (3) tackles WSU Cougars running back Jamal Morrow (25) during a game against WSU in Sun Devil Stadium, in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016.

Valedictorian: DJ Calhoun

The junior Sun Devil linebacker played arguably his best game of the season, leading an ASU pass rush that didn’t completely slow down Luke Falk, but did its best to stomp out a feckless Cougar running game that finished with negative 52 yards.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Manny Wilkins was hobbled early on Saturday, and so freshman Dillon Sterling-Cole took the reins. The running game (136 yards) did better than in previous weeks with Demario Richard and Kalen Ballage alternating Sparky formation snaps, but it wasn’t enough to overcome glaring shortcomings in the passing game. Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey reached deep into his bag of tricks and incorporated Jack Smith into the game with a 40-yard pass to redshirt senior wide receiver Tim White.

Absent Salamo Fiso, the Sun Devil front seven stepped up and played with an edge in the run game, but it was too little, too late. Falk threw for nearly 400 yards and the Washington State receiving corps had its way with the ASU secondary. Koron Crump had three of the seven Sun Devil sacks, and netted a team-high 23 yards lost on tackles for a loss.

Tim White ran back a punt for a 70-yard touchdown that was capped by a 2-point conversion on a trick play from former Brophy High School quarterback Fred Gammage to tight end Kody Kohl. Zane Gonzalez was good on a 29-yard field goal, but the Sun Devils surrendered a 100-yard kickoff return touchdown to Robert Taylor that was the lowlight of a second quarter in which the Sun Devils were outscored 17-7.

Reach the reporter at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×