Freshmen impress during annual ASU swimming intrasquad meet

Head coach Bob Bowman is excited about his program heading into the season

Richard Bohus celebrates record breaking
Junior Richard Bohus celebrates after taking first in the men's 100-yard backstroke on Saturday, Feb. 6, 2016, at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, for a new ASU record of 46.74 seonds.

ASU swimming returned to action on Friday for their annual Maroon and Gold intrasquad meet at Mora Plummer Aquatic Center.

On the men's side, the gold team won 114-86. It was a similar result on the women's side, with the gold team winning 110-71. When the final swimmers touched the wall, the gold team tasted victory, 224-157.

This meet counted for nothing in the record books, but it meant everything to the swimmers. The energy on the pool deck and in the stands created an environment indicative of a regular season dual meet.

Make no mistake about it, the swimmers on the gold side, including freshman Cameron Craig, relished this triumph.

"It was a pretty good feeling because we all talked about it," Craig said. "We were all hyping each other up and even though the teams were split, we were still working together and cheering each other on."

This season, the Sun Devils are led by a wealth of experience including all eight swimmers that broke school records last year.

In addition, senior Kat Simonovic, senior Richard Brohus and senior Anna Olasz competed at the 2016 Rio Olympics, and their experiences will benefit the rest of the team.

Finally, a stellar recruiting class makes ASU a program on the rise, and one to watch in the Pac-12 this season.

Craig, the number one recruit from the state of Michigan, is a big part of the Sun Devils' future. The multiple-time Olympic trial and junior national finalist recently qualified for the USA Swimming Junior National Team.

On Friday, he finished first in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 45.48 (22.35/23.13). He also claimed first in the 200-yard IM with a time of 1:51.77. He took fourth in the 100 backstroke and helped the Gold 200 medley and the Gold-A 400 freestyle relay teams claim first.

"I thought I did quite well given the hard training we've done the past couple of weeks and I am really satisfied with the results after the first dual meet," Craig said.

His versatility will make life easier for head coach Bob Bowman. He swam in five events, something that will not happen in a regular meet.

Craig indicated his backstroke and IM can be faster but he is excited about his freestyle.

"I think my freestyle is right where it needs to be," Craig said. "I am just excited to be a part of this group."

For the men, other great performances included Bohus' efforts in the 100-yard backstroke and 50-yard free and men's graduate co-captain Thibaut Capitaine's 100-yard breast.

Olsaz, Simonovic and women's senior co-captain Alysha Bush shined for the ladies, while freshman Chole Isleta won the 200 IM and 100 Backstroke.

Overall, Bowman thought his relay teams and freshman swimmers stood out, specifically mentioning Craig.

"He (Craig) swam at a very high level in all the events, I'm really pleased with that.

"We're trying to teach him that there is a lot more left in the tank even when he thinks there isn't," Bowman said.

Going forward, Bowman wants his team to improve in a number of areas, including off the block, but he wants his swimmers to focus on getting better every day in some aspect, using Craig as an example.

"If we do that, the outcomes will take care of themselves," Bowman said.

Up Next:

For both teams, the regular season gets underway for real on Oct. 21 when ASU squares off against conference rival Utah in Salt Lake City. 

The next day, the Sun Devils travel to Provo, Utah to take on BYU before hosting Denver, the team's home opener, on October 29 in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at jjacquez@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

×