ASU women's golf finished sixth at Stanford Intercollegiate tournament

The final round of play on Sunday was suspended due to unplayable conditions

Then-sophomore Sophia Zeeb tees off on the fifth hole on Friday, April 8, 2016, during the 2016 Ping ASU Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU women's golf was tied for sixth place after two rounds at the Stanford Intercollegiate tournament with the hopes of pursuing victory this past weekend, but rain suspended the final round of play. 

"We were really wanting to move up the leaderboard the last day," ASU head coach Missy Farr-Kaye said. "It was too bad we could not compete but the course was unplayable."

The results from day two of play are considered the final standings for the tournament, which resulted in a sixth place finish for the Sun Devils.

From the first day of the tournament to the last, a constant element of bad conditions including rain and high winds hindered the ASU golfers and the other competitors in the field.

"We really did not have a bad second round," Farr-Kaye said. "We just did not finish strong enough. We were only two shots out of third."

Like Farr-Kaye mentioned, ASU was only two strokes back of a top three finish that featured a dominant Pac-12 at the top of the leader board — with the likes of UCLA, Stanford and California.

The top performer for ASU in the shortened tournament was junior Sophia Zeeb, who tied for 16th with a 4-over-par on the score sheet, shooting a 71 and 75. 

"Sophia is getting stronger and better every tournament," Farr-Kaye said. "She is really coming into her own on the golf course, and it is fun to watch."

Zeeb recorded her second-lowest round of her career for ASU with a 71 in round one despite unfriendly conditions.

"Friday it rained for six hours straight," Farr-Kaye said. "My team did a good job of managing the conditions. Now matter how great your rain gear is, you still get soaked. So it is important to stay mentally strong which I feel we did well."

Mentally strong is a term recognizably used throughout the golf world,  but even the best players in the world have a hard time handling bad weather.

The big three for ASU — freshman Olivia Mehaffey, sophomore Linnea Strom and senior Monica Vaughn — all placed outside of the top-15. 

Strom and Mehaffey were each tied for 18th after one round by shooting 73 apiece.

Mehaffey finalized her 18th place in round one by scoring four birdies in round two on Saturday. 

As for Strom and Vaughn, each finished outside of the top-25 with both tying for 31st individually. 

ASU women's golf has all its focus on the final tournament of the fall season, which will begin on Oct. 24 in Kona, Hawaii for the Pac-12 preview tournament. 

"The only area I want to reinforce with my team is to finish strong," Farr-Kaye said. "Keep fighting until the last putt drops. We only have four days to rest and recover and get ready for Hawaii. So it is important that we care of ourselves and get caught up in school."

Reach the reporter at thandlan@asu.edu or follow @Tyler_Handlan on Twitter.

×