No. 1 Kentucky drubs ASU men's basketball at Atlantis

The top-ranked Wildcats ran all over the Sun Devils, putting up 115 in a dominant win

ASU men's basketball head coach Bobby Hurley reacts to a call in the second half of a 127-110 victory over the Citadel Bulldogs in Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2016.

ASU men’s basketball had its trip to the Bahamas spoiled Monday night, as the Sun Devils got absolutely blasted by the nation’s top-ranked team, the Kentucky Wildcats, by a final of 115-69 at Atlantis Resort’s Imperial Arena.

This marked the second straight game ASU gave up over 100 points, having beaten the Citadel 127-110 five days earlier.

It was all Kentucky from the start, leading 17-8 within five minutes as they never looked back. The Wildcats were already well on their way to what would be a 58-30 halftime lead.

The second half wasn't any prettier, as UK scored the first twelve points to open up a 40-point lead. 

It was soon after that ASU found itself on SportsCenter's Top 10 watch-list, but not exactly for the best reason, thanks to a reverse dunk in transition by Wenyen Gabriel, who had ten points in the win.

As for the rest of UK's extremely talented roster, the 'Cats were led by freshman Malik Monk, who dropped 23 points. Fellow frosh De'Aaron Fox had a triple-double with 14 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists. Isaiah Briscoe was also red-hot, putting up 20 points on 7-of-9 shooting.

ASU's numbers were a bit uglier. With only six scorers, the leaders were Sam Cunliffe and Obinna Oleka with 14 points each. Oleka had a double-double with 11 boards of his own.

It was in Oleka's territory, however – down low – where Kentucky found its biggest advantage. The Wildcats outscored the Sun Devils, 58-26 in the paint and won the rebound margin convincingly, 59-33.  

The Sun Devils will look to bounce back with a trio of difficult games coming up, the first of which will be a showdown with UNLV Saturday. ASU will then head to the Big Apple to take on currently No. 15 Purdue before heading to California to visit a solid mid-major opponent in San Diego State.

Reach the reporter at jeff.griffith21@asu.edu or follow @Jeff_Griffith21 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×