ASU students express mixed feelings on Obama, Trump administrations

Students reflect on the former president's time in office and the new administration

"Students devastated with Obama's leave and Trump's inauguration" Illustration done Sunday Jan. 22, 2017. 

With the start of President Donald Trump's administration on Jan. 20, some ASU students viewed it as a beneficial political shift — others expressed fear and discomfort.

Former President Barack Obama's administration ended and the Trump administration commenced over the weekend, marking a turning point in American democracy. 

Obama served the nation for eight years as the 44th President of the United States and one ASU student said there were significant accomplishments throughout his tenure.

“I think he was a historic president, that’s for sure," said Fallon Leyba, English sophomore and president of the Students for a Democratic Society. "Pulling out of Iraq was pretty historic, as was the work he has done for the LGBT community."

Leyba also said she didn't like the increase in deportations that occurred under Obama's administration. 

“We’ve had the most deportations under the Obama administration than we have any other President,” Leyba said.

There have been over 2.5 million deportations conducted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection since the beginning of the Obama administration, according to ABC News

Abbey Schroeder, a political science freshman, said Obama was not as successful in foreign policy.  

“As far as foreign policy goes, we as a country are viewed weaker now,” Schroeder said. 

Some students critiqued the deterioration relations between Russia and the United States, whereas others praised his establishment of opening discussions with nations such as Cuba and Iran.

"I feel that is a disservice to us, especially in the state that the world is in right now," Schroeder said.

Though this administration is in its nascent stages, students reflected on Trump's cabinet picks, such as Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education. Some have sparked controversy, whereas others have received praise. 

“I really do love Donald Trump’s pick for Secretary of Defense, James Mattis,” said Haley Garcia, nursing freshman.

Though Mattis needed a waiver to be considered for the position, the Senate confirmed him hours after Trump was sworn in. 

The wavier was required due to a 2008 amendment to the National Security Act of 1947 that states in order to become the Secretary of Defense, a pick needs to be retired from the military for 7 years. Since Mattis has been retired for only 4 years, he required special permission from Congress.

Garcia's sentiment of support was shared by Jesse Avalos, political science sophomore and vice president of the ASU Young Democrats. 

"General Mattis has a good record on being non-violent and against torture," Avalos said. 

Avalos said some may be a hesitant to come together, given the divisive election cycle. The hope and change Obama initially ran on may not seem as clear as it did in 2008 and 2012, and students at ASU question if Trump can truly make America great again. 

“I think the biggest thing that we want for both Democratic and Republican voters in general is to make this government work for all of us, not just some of us," Avalos said. "We all want our intentions to be for the good for the country."

Reach the reporter at rcloughl@asu.edu and follow @CloughleyRyan on Twitter.

×