ASU hockey goaltender Rob Levin seized unexpected opportunity at Ohio State

With constant changes at the goalie position, senior Robert Levin turned a last-minute opportunity into a highlight performance at No. 11 Ohio State on national television.

ASU Goalie Robert Levin Warm Up

ASU junior goaltender Robert Levin warms up before the team's season opener versus Arizona at Gila River Arena in Glendale, Arizona.

In one of his last games as a Sun Devil, senior netminder Robert Levin had a game-changing performance at No. 11 Ohio State on Saturday. Levin said Tuesday that he wasn’t sure whether he’d see playing time over the weekend at No. 11 Ohio State.

But after sophomore goalie Ryland Pashovitz needed relief from freshman Joey Daccord on Friday night, the rested Levin got the nod on Saturday and parlayed it into a memorable performance on national television.

“I wasn’t sure,” Levin said when asked if he knew he’d be playing in the weekend series.

Levin stopped 22 shots and allowed two goals in the shootout victory, which officially counts as a tie, but had a game-saving stop on a breakaway with about two minutes to go in the third period in a one-goal game.

Not long after the big save, Levin’s teammates scored the game-tying goal, just before the end of regulation.

“The guy’s coming down and you’re just trying to follow him, stay square to the puck and react to it,” Levin said of his breakaway stop.

The save and game-tying goal forced a fruitless overtime, followed by a shootout. Levin came up big again, stopping Ohio State’s shootout chances.

“Honestly, it’s the same as every game,” Levin said. “We know we have a chance, we just went out there and played our game. I just try to do what I can do. That was it — nothing different.”

Although Levin looked elated to have won the shootout on Saturday, he answered media questions on Tuesday calmly.

Maybe the nature of ASU’s goaltending this season requires that kind of cool attitude: with Pashovitz, Levin and Daccord all getting a share of the playing time, the goaltenders say they’re never sure when they’ll get the start in goal.

“I think we’re at the point now where there’s no definitive way to tell who’s going to go, game-to-game,” head coach Greg Powers said. “It’s tough.”

The six goals allowed by Pashovitz and Daccord on Friday may have been what prompted a last-minute start for Levin.

“Friday was frustrating for those two guys especially,” Powers said. “It is what it is. They both had an off-night. But to Rob’s credit, he sure bounced back and gave us some stability there Saturday. He played great and made some really big saves in key moments.”

Revolving door at the goal crease

On the note of playing time, the goaltenders have indeed shared the wealth. This season, Daccord has made 12 appearances, Levin has made 10, and Pashovitz 11.

Daccord said it can be hard to settle in when the goaltending has been so up-in-the-air.

“I haven’t totally gotten into a rhythm this year,” he said. “But if you play well you’re going to keep going, and I think all of us have had our fair share of good games and that’s kind of the way it’s been.”

Pashovitz has had success but has also struggled at points during the season. He didn’t travel with the team on their opening road trip to Notre Dame but played well and was later afforded three straight appearances from Nov. 18 to Nov. 25.

Then on Friday, he allowed three goals in the game’s opening eight minutes.

“He’s obviously got to find more consistency,” Powers said of the sophomore. “That’s what I think both of the young guys are lacking right now. They’re up-and-down. When they’re good, they’re really good, and when they’re off, they’re off.”

Pashovtiz is carrying an .880 save percentage this season, sitting between Daccord’s .864 and Levin’s .884. "Pash" also has a 4.64 goals against average, the highest of the trio.

Although Pashovitz is the least frequently started goaltender, starting only seven games, collegehockeystats.net said Pashovitz has played almost as many NCAA minutes in his career (1526) as Daccord (545) and Levin (990) combined. Daccord has started nine times and Levin has started 10.

Reach the reporter at matthew.layman@asu.edu or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

×