ASU women's gymnastics fall to UC Davis in home opener

Nichelle Christopherson recorded her second consecutive 9.8 on the weekend

ASU senior Allie Salas completes her routine on the bars  during a gymnastics meet against the University of Washington Huskies at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Ariz., on Monday, Jan. 18, 2015. The Huskies posted a 194.650-192.450 victory over the Sun Devils.
ASU senior Allie Salas completes her routine on the bars during a gymnastics meet against the University of Washington Huskies at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Ariz., on Monday, Jan. 18, 2015. The Huskies posted a 194.650-192.450 victory over the Sun Devils.

After a valiant effort, the ASU women's gymnastics team lost its home opener to UC Davis 193.225 to 194.000. 

The Sun Devils had a strong start after the first round, thanks to the individual performance of sophomore Morgan Wilson who scored a 9.750 on the vault. 

But the Sun Devils found themselves struggling on both bars and beams after several miscues resulted in a drop of their overall score for the remainder of the competition.

Despite the struggles, junior transfer and co-captain Nichelle Christopherson scored a 9.800 on both bar and beam — her second consecutive 9.8+ this season.

Head coach Jay Santos explained that his team's performance is still a work in progress. 

"Our floor was vastly better than the last couple of weeks," Santos said. 

Santos said he was pleased in his team's response to the mistakes made during the meet. 

"The rest of the girls fought through and stayed on the beams and showed signs of fight, so that's good," Santos said.

Sophomore Heather Udowitch said the goal during next week's training is consistency.

"We really need to fine-tune some things and finish off our routines a little bit better," Udowitch said. "We need to come into the gym next Monday with a fresh mind-set."

The Sun Devils will open Pac-12 play next Saturday when they travel to Berkeley and face No.13 Cal at 7 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow Jorge Ramos on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×