Recruiting all nutty Sun Devils for a trip across the country

How an ASU alum is searching for prospective ASU students to join the Planters team

Planter's Graphic

"ASU students have the potential for a nutty year by spending time driving Planters trucks cross country as a brand ambassador for the company." Illustration published Thursday, Feb. 16, 2017.

Trying to find a job after graduation may make some ASU students go nuts, but a group of Planters Peanutters are here to shell off some of that stress.

Harrison Plaza, an ASU alumni who graduated last May, studied business management and was employed by Planters within a month after graduation.

Essentially, the job position would be considered a brand promoter, Plaza said. For Planters, that involves driving the NUTmobile across the country for an entire year.

“As a fresh-out-of-college grad, I am the face of this billion dollar brand," Plaza said. "We drive all over the country going to different grocery stores, parades, festivals and promotional events for Planters. We connect the Planters brand as well as Mr. Peanut to the community.”

Plaza said he and a few other Peanutters came to ASU with the mission to recruit students in business related majors who would be interested in an exciting job.

Recruiting all nutty Sun Devils for a trip across the country from The State Press on Vimeo.

“We are back on the great campus of Arizona State, and we are here recruiting for the next class of Peanutters,” Plaza said. “We focus on PR-related majors, broadcasting or marketing majors, but really anyone can apply. Really anyone with an outgoing, friendly, hardworking type of work ethic or personality is perfect for this.”

Plaza said one of the perks that comes along with the job is the travel. Since he has been with Planters, Plaza has visited New York, Florida, Nevada and 21 other states in the last seven months.

“We have seen some amazing places, that’s the great thing about this job is that no two days are ever the same,” Plaza said. “We have been all up and down the East Coast, now we are making our way all across the West Coast.”

Katie Byrne, a 23-year-old Penn State graduate, also works as a Planters Peanutter.

“I didn’t know what I was doing after graduation, (I) had a couple of interviews but the NUTmobile came to my class and talked about the job and it really interested me,” Bryne said. “I got the job and decided to travel the country for the year.”

Driving all over the U.S. in a huge peanut can attract some eyes, but for Bryne, that is one of the best aspects of the job.

“My favorite part is seeing people’s reactions when we are on the highway," Bryne said. "We also have gotten to get to go to a lot of different sporting events."

Jody Peterson, who became a Peanutter this past June said the ASU students have been interested with the sight of the NUTmobile on campus.

"ASU has been a beautiful campus, students are really nice and very receptive to the message," Peterson said. "We have talked to three classes now and all of the students have asked loads of questions. I wouldn't think that students who are 21 or 22 years old would be this excited about peanuts, but they really are." 

Reach the reporter at  mmbaiett@asu.edu or follow @marcellabaietto on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×