ASU softball is ready to start the season with new leadership

Despite a new coaching staff, the Sun Devils are ready to compete once more

Junior catcher Sashel Palacios is hit by a ball during a game against Portland State at Alberta B. Farrington Softball Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday, Feb. 14, 2016. The Sun Devils won the game, 7-1.

Eager to compete, the ASU softball team is confident in its ability to succeed this season, even with a new coaching staff.

“I know there’s been a lot of changes over the years, but I think that something that they’ve implemented these past couple of months is passion,” senior catcher Sashel Palacios said. 

“I’m excited to let the world know the passionate Arizona State softball team that’s going to take the field next Thursday.”

ASU filled its softball head coach vacancy spot on Jun.15. by hiring Trisha Ford.

“Coming from Fresno State, I had a great time there. Arizona State has always been one of the Pac-12 schools that I had dreamed of being a part of,” Ford said.

In the two years that she spent in Fresno, she led them to consecutive Mountain West Conference championships.

Before joining the Bulldogs, Ford spent nine years with Stanford, where she helped lead them to an overall record of 385-155 (.713).

Ford then hired Carly Wynn, who also worked with Fresno State as an assistant coach for four years.

“I think that anytime you can bring over someone who knows your system and understands what makes you tick is very helpful,” Ford said.

Ford and Wynn have brought a lot of new additions to the clubhouse.

“It goes down to brand new coaching staff from head to toe, it includes a lot more conditioning, a lot more lifting, way more breaking the game down, being students of the game," Palacios said. “I think that’s something that a lot of us were thrown off with in the beginning. It’s made us a lot smarter players and more aggressive.”

Junior pitcher Breanna Macha will have to adjust to a new coaching staff again, her third in three seasons.

“I just think that they’re bringing a different aspect, so many different concepts to this year and I think everyone is on board," Macha said. "I think that if we really implement what we’re learning in practice and our games, it’s going to speak for itself.”

The girls have welcomed the new faces with open arms.

“We’re still Arizona State softball, we still play with passion, we love representing our school," Palacios said. "There’s different people that surround us every day, but they fit like a glove,”

The team has mixed feelings regarding its low rankings in the 2017 Pac-12 softball coaches’ poll, which ranked the team in eighth place.

"I don’t worry about that to be honest with you,” Ford said. "I think my job is to get this culture to understand, and teach them the strategy and mechanics of the game but they have to have fun too. They can’t come out here and grind grind grind and lose the love of the game."

Palacios feels differently.

“I really hope that’s not going to come true at all, I really want to put this team and this program back where it belongs, which is the top, Palacios said. "I’m excited for our work to get shown to everyone in the nation."

The Sun Devils are eager to get the season started, and show everyone what they’re about.

“I think the coaching mind in me what love to practice a little longer, but I also know that we need to get out and see where we’re at, and compete. We’ve been competing against each other, and I think it’s time to compete against someone we don’t like,” said Ford.

ASU plays its first game of the season this Thursday when the Sun Devils host UTEP in Tempe at 4:45 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at Leon.Annaliese13@gmail.com or follow @LieseLeon on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×