ASU baseball's sophomore pitcher leads team to a midweek win over UNLV

A strong performance from pitcher Connor Higgins fuels the Sun Devils to victory over UNLV

ASU freshman outfielder Hunter Bishop (24) hits a ball foul during a baseball game against the UNLV Rebels at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona on Tuesday, March 28, 2017. ASU won 5-4.

ASU sophomore pitcher Connor Higgins stole the show — even on a night when former ASU baseball star Barry Bonds was in attendance at Phoenix Municipal Stadium.

Higgins' fantastic performance helped the Sun Devils win 5-4 over the visiting UNLV Rebels (10-17). The Sun Devils moved to 11-12 on the season.

"I thought Connor Higgins was really one of the keys, if not the key to the game, because he comes in a crucial situation," head coach Tracy Smith said. "We were down at the time, keeps it right there, and of course goes on to settle in. I don't want to use the word dominate, but I thought he pretty much kept them in check."

And Higgins did keep them in check — he pitched 4.2 innings of scoreless baseball, while striking out six hitters, giving up one walk and not allowing a single hit. 

Higgins didn't expect to stay in the game so long.

"I did not expect that. I haven't gone more than two (innings) here ever last year and this year combined," Higgins said. "I really did not expect that, just kept going along with it, though. I wanted to get that 'W' for the team."

Although Higgins put UNLV in a stranglehold, the Rebels started off hot, scoring four runs off sophomore pitcher Zach Dixon in the first two innings.

But freshman reliever Alec Marsh stopped the bleeding when he replaced Dixon in the second. Marsh quieted the UNLV bats, pitching 2.2 scoreless innings and giving up three hits to set the stage for Higgins. 

The Sun Devil offense responded well to the deficit. Sophomore outfielder Gage Canning started the scoring with a two-run triple in the second and senior catcher Zach Cerbo added the third run with a sacrifice fly in the fourth.

But it was sophomore outfielder Tyler Williams who gave ASU the lead with a two-run home run in the sixth inning.

Williams was happy his home run came with Bonds at the game.

"Knowing that Barry Bonds was there, you just want to show him a little something-something," Williams said. 

ASU gets back into action when it hosts UCLA at Phoenix Municipal Stadium on Friday at 6:30 p.m.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×