ASU women’s golf finishes second at Anuenue Spring Break Classic in Hawaii

The Sun Devils placed three golfers in the top six overall

Junior Monica Vaughn hits the ball out of the grove of trees near the fifth fairway on Friday, April 8, 2016 during the 2016 Ping ASU Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU women’s golf finished strong on final day of competition to place second at the Anuenue Spring Break Classic in Kapalua, Hawaii with a score of 5-over par.

The Sun Devils had three golfers rank in the top six individually, a performance that was pleasing to head coach Missy Farr-Kaye. It was her team's first action since taking the top spot at the Clover Cup last weekend.

Fellow Pac-12 member UCLA ran away with the team competition with a score of 12-under par.

For the Sun Devils, senior Monica Vaughn's score of 5-under earned her second place in the individual standings. She was bested only by UCLA sophomore Lilia Vu, who came in at 12-under to give UCLA the sweep of the individual and team competitions.

"Monica turned it on coming down the stretch which helped her to another runner-up finish,” Farr-Kaye said through Sun Devil Athletics. “UCLA played well and deserved to win.”

It was Vaughn's second straight tournament with a productive finish for the Sun Devils. The senior scored 8-under par last weekend in Mesa, good enough for third place individually. 

Freshman Olivia Mehaffey was the second Sun Devil to complete the course, coming in with a final score of 1-under par. Mehaffey’s tally was fifth-best overall. 

Sophomore Linnea Strom completed competition tied for sixth place, while junior Roberta Liti, who competed as an individual at The Bay Course, finished tied for 29th place overall with a score of +11.

Junior Sophia Zeeb was the next ASU golfer to complete the third day of competition, recording a final score of +13. Sophomore Madison Kerley rounded out ASU with a score of +15 overall.

Next Up:

The Sun Devils now return to Arizona to prepare for their first and only home tournament of the season. ASU will get a over a week off before hosting the PING/ASU Invitational in Tempe, April 7-9. 

“We have a few things to work on when we get home to prepare for the PING/ASU next week, and I am confident this team will be ready,” Farr-Kaye said.

Reach the reporter at michael.baron@asu.edu or follow @Michael_Baron96 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×