ASU baseball gives up four runs in the ninth inning, loses to UNLV 13-12

The Sun Devils' four game winning streak came to an end at UNLV

ASU sophomore pitcher Connor Higgins (11) tries to throw a strike during game one of a three game baseball series versus the Washington State Cougars at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix on Thursday, April 13, 2017. ASU won 6-5.

ASU baseball squandered a three-run lead in the ninth inning against UNLV Tuesday night to snap its four-game win streak.

Heading into the bottom of the ninth inning, ASU (16-19) led 12-9 since batting in the top of the frame. It appeared the Sun Devils had secured the win after adding two runs in the top of the ninth, but UNLV (14-25) had other plans.

Senior outfielder Corey Pool started the Rebels' scoring with an RBI double. However, the biggest mistake came from ASU sophomore reliever Connor Higgins, who committed a throwing error on a bunt from UNLV sophomore outfielder Kyle Isbel that allowed two Rebels to score and tie the game.

The final nail in the coffin came from UNLV senior infielder Justin Jones, who hit an RBI single to put the Rebels on top, 13-12. Not only did the Sun Devils give up the lead, they couldn't record a single out in the ninth.

As the bottom of the ninth inning would suggest, it was not a good night for the ASU pitching staff.

Freshman starter Alec Marsh only lasted two innings, surrendering five earned runs and nine hits. Redshirt sophomore reliever Reagan Todd recorded two earned runs in 1 2/3 innings of work and junior reliever Ryan Hingst struggled after a good Saturday performance with two runs earned in two innings pitched. 

The ASU offense did everything it needed to defeat UNLV. Sophomore infielder Jeremy McCuin and freshman outfielder Hunter Bishop both smashed two-run home runs, while sophomore outfielder Gage Canning was a home run short of the cycle. Freshman infielder Carter Aldrete and junior outfielder Ryan Lillard both added two hits.

This loss ended a four game winning streak for ASU. Next, the Sun Devils will take the field on Friday at 6:30 p.m. when they play CSU Bakersfield at Phoenix Municipal Stadium.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×