ASU baseball finishes season by getting swept against Utah

The Sun Devils finished with a 23-32 record after getting swept by Utah

ASU senior right-handed pitcher Eder Erives (7) pitches the ball in a baseball game versus CSU Bakersfield at the Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Sunday, April 23, 2017. The Sun Devils lost 8-6.

Considering the successful history of the baseball program at ASU, not many would have believed the 2017 season would end with the team getting swept by the Utah Utes, not to mention the dismal 23-32 record (8-22 Pac-12).

But that's how the chips fell for the Sun Devils. This was the worst ASU season of the varsity era and the first time the team failed to have a winning record since 1985. 

Game One

ASU was no match for Utah pitcher Jayson Rose on Friday. Rose had an excellent game, throwing eight innings, allowing just three hits and four walks and striking out six. 

Sun Devil senior pitcher Eder Erives pitched well in his final collegiate appearance, but a sacrifice fly from Dallas Carroll and a home run from Zack Moeller proved to be the difference in a 2-0 loss for ASU.

Game Two

The Sun Devils got off to a terrific start on Saturday, with a three-RBI double from junior infielder Taylor Lane gave ASU an early lead.

The Utes responded with a five-run fifth inning, starting with a RBI double from DaShawn Keirsey. Utah built its lead with RBIs from Chandler Anderson, Dallas Carroll, and Zack Moeller. 

Anderson pushed Utah's lead to 7-3 in the sixth with a two-RBI single, and while ASU's Andrew Snow scored on a wild pitch in the ninth, it wasn't enough as the Utes won 7-4.

Game Three

ASU had its season end in gut-wrenching fashion, losing 11-10 on a walk-off single from Utah's Kyle Hoffman.

The Sun Devils started well, with home runs from freshman outfielder Hunter Bishop and freshman catcher Nick Cheema. In the third inning, ASU pushed its lead to 7-0 with RBIs from freshman infielder Carter Aldrete, Cheema and Snow. 

But Utah responded with seven runs of its own in the third. The biggest blow was a grand slam from Moeller, along with RBIs from Anderson, Carroll, and Ellis Kelly.

ASU regained the lead in the ninth with RBIs from Snow and freshman outfielder Myles Denson, but it wasn't enough as Utah won with a walk-off.

In spite of that, head coach Tracy Smith will return for a fourth season, as reported by AZ Central's Jeff Metcalfe.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×