ASU cornerback Kareem Orr leaves program, the fourth player to do so in 18 days

The Sun Devils' No.1 cornerback heads home to Tennessee

ASU Sun Devils defensive back Kareem Orr (25), left, and ASU Sun Devils defensive back Armand Perry (13) celebrate an interception during a football game against the Utah Utes in Sun Devil Stadium on Thursday, Nov. 10, 2016.

ASU football loses another defender as junior cornerback Kareem Orr transfers to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

The former freshman All-American was the team’s third leading tackler with 53 tackles, and was listed as ASU’s No.1 cornerback last season. Not only was Orr the Sun Devils' top cover guy, but he was consistently on the field playing in 11 of ASU’s 12 games.

Orr said in a tweet that his decision to transfer to a school outside of the Football Bowl Subdivision was influenced by “issues that have occurred over the past weeks."

Orr is one of four players who have left the program in the last month, and his departure comes less than a week after ASU defensive back Armand Perry announced his retirement due to injuries. 

Orr will be leaving behind several young cornerbacks in redshirt freshman Chase Lucas and freshman Alex Perry, Armand Perry's younger brother. The Sun Devils had the worst pass defense in the FBS last season.

Reach the reporter at atotri@asu.edu or follow @Anthony_Totri on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×