College students should understand that Trump does not represent all Republicans

If students assume that all Republicans align with President Trump's beliefs, the political climate will become more polarized

Graphic_Trump.jpg
"Some republicans feel that Trump is not a good representation of what their party stands for." Illustration published on Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2017.

As the political climate in the U.S. becomes more and more tense, college campuses are becoming politically polarized. While President Trump may be the face of the Republican Party, the Trump presidency is not reflective of all Republicans' beliefs

In order to create a thoughtful political climate on campus, students should be able to detach Trump's actions from the rest of the party and view him as an isolated facet of the GOP.

"Ultimately, I think that Trump is a poor role model for aspiring politicians and leaders for a few reasons: he's Trump, and he's different," Joey Cilano, state organizer for Steve Montenegro's campaign for the Arizona Secretary of State, said. "He gets to be the loudmouth because he was already a larger-than-life character before running for office."

The Trump administration, which has gained wide notoriety over the past year, has experienced significant pushback from college-aged individuals. Students have engaged in countless protests and initiatives against the Trump administration. This is not simply something that has happened at ASU, but on college campuses all over the country. 

However, many students are guilty of assuming that all Republicans align with the Trump presidency. Because President Trump is the face of the Republican Party, many assume that he must be representative of the entire GOP. 

Although this logic is understandable, it is simply not true. There are numerous Republicans who do not align his radical initiatives, such as restricting transgender individuals from joining the military

Many support Trump because of his fiscal policies, but his obsession with the "fake news" and his self-absorption has left countless Republican leaders in opposition to his presidency. 

Several leaders in the Arizona government, namely Sen. Jeff Flake and Sen. John McCain, have distanced themselves from the President, along with countless other Republicans. 

If all Republicans were assumed to be Trump supporters, students would miss out on the opportunity to have meaningful political discussions that promote growth, not opposition. 

There are numerous students who refuse to discuss politics with Republicans, since all Republicans are assumed to be Trump supporters. If more people understood that a portion of Trump's own party opposes him, they may have less distaste for the GOP as a whole. 

The Republican Party still has leaders with effective ideas to strengthen the U.S. economy and promote the general welfare of the public. 

In order to have meaningful conversations that create positive change, students should not automatically make assumptions based on party alignment. Each party is diverse, and the Trump presidency is not a one-size-fits-all administration for Republicans.

Reach the columnist at amsnyde6@asu.edu or follow @AnnieSnyder718 on Twitter.

×