Pac-12 Power Rankings: ASU and UA have mixed results with Territorial Cup on the horizon

This week's Pac-12 Power Rankings

USC and Stanford emerged victorious in hard-fought games against their regional rivals over the weekend, and unless Washington State defeats Washington in the Apple Cup, then the Cardinal will face the Trojans in the Pac-12 Football Championship Game.

Noah Lau
Graphic published on Monday, Nov. 20, 2017.

Here are this week's rankings:

1) No. 11 USC Trojans (10-2, 8-1 Pac-12) Last week: 1 

USC is a lock to represent the South division in the Pac-12 Football Championship Game, and flexed its muscles against UCLA, winning 28-23. 

2) No. 14 Washington State Cougars (9-2, 6-2 Pac-12) Last week: 2

The Cougars had a bye over the weekend, but if they win against in-state foe Washington on Saturday, then they will play the Trojans for the conference title.

3) No. 22 Stanford Cardinal (8-3, 7-2 Pac-12) Last week: 3

With its 17-14 victory over Cal, Stanford is done with Pac-12 regular season play. The Cardinal will host No. 8 Notre Dame this weekend and need Washington to beat WSU for a chance to play USC in the conference championship.

4) No. 18 Washington Huskies (9-2, 6-2 Pac-12) Last week: 4

UW had quite a scare against Utah, but came out on top 33-30. The Huskies scored ten points in the final minute of the game, including a game-winning field goal from kicker Tristan Vizcaino, who had previously missed a field goal and an extra point in the game.

5) Arizona Wildcats (7-4, 5-3 Pac-12) Last week: 5

If Arizona quarterback Khalil Tate plays well, then Arizona as a team plays well. Tate had his worst game of the season against the Oregon Ducks, gaining only 32 rushing yards and throwing two interceptions. Not surprisingly, UA lost 48-28 to Oregon.

6) Arizona State Sun Devils (6-5, 5-3 Pac-12) Last week: 7

The Sun Devils led 30-7 at half against Oregon State, marking their best performance in a half this season. ASU gave up two fourth quarter touchdowns to OSU but held on to win 40-24, clinching a trip to a bowl game in the process.

7) Oregon Ducks (6-5, 3-5 Pac-12) Last week: 9

Much like Arizona, the Ducks are also very quarterback dependent. Lucky for them, starting quarterback Justin Herbert returned against UA, leading Oregon to a 48-28 win with two touchdowns, one rushing and one passing.

8) UCLA Bruins (5-6, 3-5 Pac-12) Last week: 6

The Bruins suffered a 28-23 to Los Angeles rival USC over the weekend, and to make things worse, UCLA now has a job opening as former head coach Jim Mora was fired on Sunday.

9) Utah Utes (5-6, 2-6 Pac-12) Last week: 10

Utah tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it did not really matter because Washington managed to mount an excellent comeback and win 33-30 on a last-second field goal. It has been a rough season full of close losses for the Utes, but they can still make a bowl game with a win over Colorado this Saturday.

10) California Golden Bears (5-6, 2-6 Pac-12) Last week: 8

Cal has also lost its fair share of close games and that trend did not change in its 17-14 loss to Stanford. If the Bears beat UCLA on Saturday they will be bowl eligible.

11) Colorado Buffaloes (5-6, 2-6 Pac-12) Last week: 11

Colorado was off over the weekend, with its last regular season game against Utah, where the Buffaloes will have a chance to earn their sixth win and a bowl game in the process.

12) Oregon State Beavers (1-10, 0-8 Pac-12) Last week: 12

The Beavers are the only Pac-12 team without any chance of playing in a bowl game, and they played to their dismal record in a 40-24 loss to ASU. OSU faces Oregon on Saturday afternoon in the Civil War, with the only thing on the line being state pride.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.