ASU women’s basketball can’t complete comeback, loses to UCLA

The Sun Devils faced a tough 71-63 loss against the UCLA Bruins Sunday

IMG_0715.jpg

ASU sophomore forward Jamie Ruden shoots a two-pointer in the second half of their victory against the Washington Huskies on Friday, Feb. 2, 2018 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona. 

The No. 25 Sun Devils (17-9, 8-6 Pac-12) finished their final out-of-state conference road game with a tough 71-63 loss to the No. 8 UCLA Bruins (21-4, 12-2 Pac-12) on Sunday at Pauley Pavilion

The Sun Devils went into the California road trip on a three-game win streak and looked to capitalize on their momentum. However, both USC and UCLA defeated the Sun Devils over the weekend, giving ASU only four conference games left to secure a bye position for the Pac-12 Tournament.  

Entering Sunday’s matchup, ASU and UCLA had two of the highest assists to turnover ratios in the nation, with both teams in the top 50. 

UCLA recorded 21 assists to eight turnovers. The Sun Devils had 14 assists and 13 turnovers on the night. 

The Sun Devils kept their opportunities open throughout the game as they recorded another hot start from tip. They shot 8-12 from the field and looked to be pulling off an upset early. 

As the game developed, the Bruins grew their one point first quarter lead to an 11 point lead early in the second. From then on, the Sun Devils were fighting from behind once again on this road trip. 

In the beginning of the fourth quarter, sophomore guard Robbi Ryan cut the Bruins' lead to 54-52. After that, the Bruins went on a quick 6-0 run giving them breathing room.

As a team, the Sun Devils shot 47 percent from the field and added six 3-pointers. 

The difference in the game was missed free throws by the Sun Devils. The Bruins made 6-8 from the line and the Sun Devils made 13-20. 

UCLA had four players shoot double figures and were led by senior guard Jordin Canada who recorded a double-double on 16 points and 10 assists. 

For the Sun Devils, three players scored in double figures. 

Ryan led the team with 14 points and four assists. Junior guard Courtney Ekmark finished with 13 points and added two 3-pointers. She finished the road trip with seven giving her a team leading 44 on the season. 

The Sun Devils return home to host the Arizona Wildcats on Friday at 7 p.m. before heading down to Tucson on Sunday to finish off the rivalry series. 

Reach the reporter at sbemanue@asu.edu or follow @SebastianEman24 on Twitter. 

×