ASU 2018-2019 tuition proposal calls for no increase for resident undergrads

Non-resident undergraduate and graduate tuition will see slight increases

Michael Crow-12.jpg

ASU president Michael Crow speaks during a meeting at ASU's Tempe campus on Friday, March 2, 2018.

The fiscal year 2019 ASU tuition proposal maintains costs for resident undergraduate students at current levels.

The proposal, released on March 16 alongside proposals for the state's other public universities, calls for no increase in resident undergraduate student tuition, no increase in undergraduate class fees and no increase in undergraduate academic program fees. The proposals for the University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University make the same requests.

University President Michael Crow said in a statement that this reflects the University's commitment to its resident students despite continually low levels of financial support from the state. 

"But our commitment to the students of Arizona and the state of Arizona is not contingent upon that support. Whatever happens politically, Arizona State University will work tirelessly to ensure the brightest of futures for our students and our state," he said in the statement, which was released concurrent to the tuition proposal. 

For out-of-state undergraduate students, the base tuition increase would be 3.5 percent or $934. Non-resident graduate students would also see an increase of 3.5 percent, or $1,022.

Tuition for international students, at both the undergraduate and graduate level, is proposed to increase by 3.5 percent — $1,010 for undergraduate and $1,098 for graduate students.

In addition, there will be a proposed 1.5 percent increase, or $166, for resident graduate students.

The Arizona Board of Regents is expected to vote on the proposals and set final tuition and fees for the 2018-19 academic year during an April 5 meeting at UA.

ABOR will host tuition hearings for students and the general public to attend on March 27 throughout the state. A segment of the hearings will be held on each of ASU’s four major campuses from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and will provide a platform for members of the community to comment on the tuition proposals. 

The university presidents will present their proposals at a live-streamed workshop, also hosted by ABOR, on March 29. It will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on ASU’s Tempe campus at the Memorial Union’s Turquoise Room.

During a meeting with The State Press on March 2, President Crow said that various factors go into setting the University’s tuition rate, but that he will honor the promise he made six years ago to keep in-state tuition increases below 3 percent for the following decade.

“We’re not going to violate the policy, the commitment, the proposal that we put on the table years ago,” Crow said. “There will be no-instate tuition increase above 3 percent, it will be as close to zero as possible, and whatever we do for out-of-state or international students will be modest and will be continuing to allow them to keep their tuition at around average among out-of-state prices.”

Reach the reporter at Kimberly.Rapanut@asu or follow @kimrapanut on Twitter.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×