Forks Estate News Update: Krauss on leave, new ASU building in D.C., Gammage season lineup

Austin Westfall brings you this week's big stories in this news update

1.png

Transcript:

Sun Devil baseball could not overcome defensive mistakes as the Arizona Wildcats took the first Territorial Cup matchup of 2018, 6-2. The loss in phoenix drops ASU below a winning record. The game against the Wildcats did not count in the Pac-12 Conference record, but the Wildcats have now won five in-a-row at Phoenix Municipal Stadium.

This week marks the debut of ASU’s new center in Washington, D.C. The Ambassador Barbara Barrett & Justice Sandra Day O’Connor Washington Center, a 32,000-square-foot, eight-story structure, is located in a historic building just two blocks from the White House. ASU President Michael Crow told the state press in earlier in march that they took a 100-year-old building and gutted it down to the outside brick walls and completely redid the inside. The new center will be home to various ASU programs such as the Cronkite News Washington Bureau, the McCain Institute for International Leadership, as well as other think tanks and research facilities.

ASU professor and prominent scientist, Lawrence Krauss, tweeted out a response to sexual misconduct allegations Wednesday. In a nine-page statement, Krauss gave his version of events and responded to a BuzzFeed article that described a pattern of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior. He said the article paints a false picture of his relationships with others. Krauss acknowledged his sensitivity to other people's feelings could be improved and apologized for "language or demeanor" that made others uncomfortable. The physicist is on paid administrative leave from ASU while the school reviews the allegations.

ASU has been among the top Peace Corps volunteer-producing schools for the past nine years, and 2018 is no different. ASU ranked No. 15 among large universities on the Peace Corp’s new “Top Volunteer-Producing Colleges and Universities” list. 1,081 alumni have served abroad as volunteers, according to the Peace Corps. 

ASU Gammage announced on March 12 its 2018-2019 Broadway season lineup with headliners such as the Tony Award-winning production "Dear Evan Hansen," Disney’s "Aladdin" and "Hello, Dolly!" Gammage will also be hosting other hits fresh off Broadway such as "Waitress," "On Your Feet!" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," along with the return of favorites like "Wicked," "The Book of Mormon" and "Rent" as season options.

Check out recent episodes:

The Forks Estate: How ASU helps students pay for tuition

The Forks Estate: How students can help pay for their tuition

The Forks Estate: USG bill could increase Student Health and Wellness Fee

Reach the podcaster at awestfa2@asu.edu or follow @westfallaustin on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×