Politics Weekly Roundup: From USG budgets to student government debates

A look back at the week's reporting

USGweeklyroundup.jpg

Graphic published on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018.

Welcome to the sixth installment of The State Press Politics Roundup, where we bring you the week's coverage of on-campus and local politics.

This week, reporters analyzed the budget of Undergraduate Student Government Tempe and detailing how the money was spent. They also sat down with executive ticket candidates to learn more about their proposals and policy priorities.

If you missed the last roundup, catch yourself up here.

In recent USG and campus news

USG elections reach midpoint

A few days remain in the 2018 ASU Undergraduate Student Government elections. During the two week election which began March 13, candidates held meet and greets and participated in debates hosted by The State Press. There are no formal events scheduled for the remaining days of campaigning, but candidates are expected to canvas around their respective campuses.

USG executive tickets lay out agendas

Executive tickets for USG Tempe, Downtown, West and Polytechnic sat down with The State Press to discuss their policy priorities and goals for the coming school year. Candidates from each campus emphasized the importance of increasing health services, student engagement and transparency in student government.

The State Press will speak with the executive ticket of the Graduate and Professional Student association on Monday. 

Watch recaps of the previous Q&As here.

This week's reporting

From Orange County to the Women's March: one student's path to activism

ASU spanish language and culture junior Emma Giles poses for a photo on Hayden Lawn in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, March 16, 2018.

In continuation of a series of profiles on student activists, The State Press spoke with Emma Giles, a pro-choice advocate. Giles shares her story and transition into advocating for a woman's right to regulate her body. Read more here.

Supreme Court rejects Arizona's bid to deny drivers licenses to DACA recipients

Previous Arizona Governor Jan Brewer takes questions from members of the news media outside the West Wing at the White House after meeting with former President Barack Obama on June 3, 2010 in Washington, D.C.

Last week, the United States Supreme Court denied to hear Arizona's bid to deny DACA recipients' access to a driver's license, siding with a lower court ruling. Because of this decision, recipients can now keep their driver's licenses. Read more here.

USG Tempe has a yearly budget of nearly $2.5 million — here's how it's spent

Photo of USG Tempe Benedict ticket by Delia Johnson. Graphic published on Tuesday, March 20, 2018.

Undergraduate Student Government Tempe was responsible for a $2,485,011 budget during the 2017-2018 school year, funded by student program fees. The State Press received a detailed copy of the budget, showing how the group appropriated that money. Read more here.

ASU Islamic community plans interfaith events after anti-Islamic incident at local mosque

ASU religion, public life and conflict senior Johnny Martin worships for the mid-afternoon Asr prayer at the Islamic Community Center of Tempe in Tempe, Arizona, on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017.

The Muslim Student Association at ASU in partnership with the Islamic Community Center of Tempe has organized events calling for peace and understanding following an incident last week. Two women posted a video of themselves taking flyers and insulting Islam and are facing felony burglary charges and a possible hate crime. Read more here.

USG launches campaigns with an emphasis on student engagement

USGD presidential candidate and public service and policy sophomore Aly Perkins poses for a photo in downtown Phoenix, Arizona, on Tuesday, March 20, 2018. 

This USG election season, amended election codes have changed the way candidates are able to interact with students. The change has allowed candidates to promote their campaigns during class, which some tickets have embraced. Read more here.

'Womxn Helping Womxn' event raises awareness of domestic violence

Carla Vasquez decorates notebooks for domestic violence survivors at an event on Hayden Lawn in Tempe, Arizona, on Tuesday, March 20, 2018. 

An ASU club collected donations for a local domestic violence service organization and to further educate students on the issue. Attendees and volunteers organized donated clothes and painted personalized notebooks displaying motivational quotes. Read more here.

Reach the reporter at Anicla@asu.edu or follow @AndrewNicla on Twitter. 

×