Practice Report: Second week of spring practice starts with an injured John Humphrey

The Sun Devils continue to transition to a new coaching staff as they enter the second week of practice

IMG_2693.jpg

ASU wide receiver John Humphrey (12) attempts to catch the ball in the Sun Devil's 41-30 win over Colorado on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

The second week of ASU football practice started off with a scare as redshirt junior wide receiver John Humphrey went down in what appeared to be a non-contact injury. 

Humphrey, who missed four games last season to an injury, was helped off the field with an apparent right ankle injury. 

With Humphrey out, redshirt junior wide receivers Terrell Chatman and Ryan Newsome stepped up. Newsome is working as an all-around receiver, lining up as an outside and inside receiver while taking reps as a punt returner. 

As the team works through the fourth official spring practice, Newsome and the rest of the offense is getting acquainted with offensive coordinator Rob Likens’ offense. 

“It’s been kind of smooth actually with Coach Likens at the helm,” Newsome said. “Not too much (turnover) over in that area luckily.”

The Sun Devils bring back several wide outs from last year’s group, but even so, Newsome said timing is the emphasis in Likens’ offense.

“Summer, that’s when we’re going to get the timing down,” Newsome said. “We’ll have to work at it a lot.”

Redshirt senior quarterback Manny Wilkins is slated to suit up in his final season with the Sun Devils with younger running backs than he’s used to. 

While Demario Richard and Kalen Ballage anxiously await their selection in the 2018 NFL draft, sophomores Trelon Smith and Eno Benjamin lead ASU’s running back room.

However, with few tailbacks on the roster prior to the arrival of the incoming freshmen, Benjamin said running backs coach John Simon can critique the players more precisely.

“He can individually go over every mistake now, considering that we have much time with our four running backs,” Benjamin said.

Nevertheless, the more reps for Benjamin, the better his chances of guaranteeing himself the starting role.

“Us four (running backs) want to go in (the Fall) having coach Simon not having to worry about us too much,” Benjamin said.

Side note: The first-team offensive line practiced as follows: (LT) redshirt senior Tyson Rising, (LG) redshirt junior Alex Losoya, (C) junior Cohl Cabral, (RG) redshirt junior Cade Cote and (RT) redshirt senior Quinn Bailey.

Defensive Notes

Redshirt senior safety Jalen Harvey continues to transition from wide receiver to safety. Harvey took reps with the first-team defense. 

Head coach Herm Edwards is spending a heavy chunk of his time during practice coaching up defensive backs. During special teams drills, Edwards was working specifically with redshirt sophomore cornerback Chase Lucas.

As expected, redshirt junior linebackers Khaylan Thomas and Malik Lawal were taking first-team snaps. The same goes for senior linebacker Jay Jay Wilson

Sophomore defensive lineman Shannon Forman and redshirt senior defensive lineman Renell Wren look to be carving out starting roles on the defensive line with Tashon Smallwood entering life after college football.

Reach the reporter at atotri@asu.edu or follow @Anthony_Totri on Twitter.   

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.  

×