The ASU soccer team dominated in its exhibition match on Saturday

The ASU soccer team won 10-0 in its final preseason tune-up before the regular season

Golf_16.JPG

ASU sophomore forward Christina Edwards (2) kicks the ball in the Sun Devils' 1-0 win against the University of Washington at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Oct. 29, 2017.

The ASU soccer team closed out its final exhibition match of the season with a 10-0 win against the Federation of University Sports of China (FUSC) at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium on Saturday.

FUSC's defense was no match against the Sun Devils, who scored their first three goals during the first 15 minutes of action.

"I told the girls that no matter how the game goes, you are not competing against necessarily just Beijing today. You are competing against each other and your own personal best," said ASU head coach Graham Winkworth when asked about what the team takes away during a blowout game. 

With six freshmen players scoring goals, senior forward Jemma Purfield's three assists and junior Christina Edwards' two goals could prove that the teams chemistry is on the right track for the upcoming season.

"It's just exciting to have so much talent and so much potential, especially having a lot of young players get on score today," Purfield said. 

The Sun Devils also managed to shutout FUSC while allowing only two shot attempts, with one coming in each half.  

Overall, the match was a completely dominant performance for ASU. Although it was seemingly a blowout victory, the match held a little extra significance for Edwards, who has been mourning the loss of her aunt over the last week. Saturday was a chance for the Sun Devil forward to play a game that she loves while competing for a spot out on the field.

"She did take her life, and so it's been hard," Edwards said as she held back some tears. "I don't want to say that I've been forced to come back to soccer. Coach and the girls have been so supportive about it and the funeral was last week." 

Edwards said that her aunt would not have wanted her to stop playing, but she is taking her time to grieve.

On a brighter note, and in preparation for their next match, Edwards said the focus will be working on defending and moving together as a unit.

Last Sunday, the Sun Devils played two other exhibition games against New Mexico State and Colorado College. ASU defeated the Aggies 3-1 before tying Colorado College 1-1. 

Saturday's match rounded out the Sun Devils preseason slate, and it was officially the team's final tune-up before the regular season begins.

ASU will travel to Waipahu, Hawai'i for their next two matches against the University of Hawai'i on Aug. 24 at 10 p.m. MST, and the University of Montana on Aug. 26 at 5 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×