In light of Kavanaugh decision, Planned Parenthood reaches out to young voters

Planned Parenthood's fight against the nomination is resonating at ASU

IMG_6697.JPG

Catherine Corbett, ASU senior and President of PPGEN, speaks with Angelica Romero, ASU senior and Vice President of PPGEN, during the 2018 Fall Summit in the Memorial Union in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018. 

Planned Parenthood is reaching out to voters on a local level across the country, imploring them to halt the confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court for what the group sees as the threat he poses to the established law on issues like abortion. 

The reproductive health services and sex education non-profit has sent emails calling for voters to “Pink Out and Power Up," encouraging them to reach out to lawmakers and join local Planned Parenthood affiliates.

Tayler Tucker, a media relations specialist at Planned Parenthood Arizona, said the organization feels the services it offers are under threat. 

“Brett Kavanaugh is our top priority because it is so pressing and so crucial, and the decision of putting Kavanaugh in a seat on the Supreme Court will affect future generations to come and what their rights look like,” Tucker said. 

Part of the controversy around Planned Parenthood is due to the fact that some clinics receive federal Title X funding.

“Planned Parenthood has a Title X program that helps those with low incomes and those who are not insured as well," said Catherine Corbett, an ASU senior studying communication and integrative sciences & arts and the president of ASU's Planned Parenthood Generation Action chapter.

PPGEN is focusing on getting out into the ASU community to canvas, phone bank, call senators, endorse candidates and advocate for reproductive rights.

Tucker said she's concerned that Title X will be at risk if Kavanaugh is confirmed and without the funding from Title X, many will be at a loss of affordable preventative care.

According to Planned Parenthood, most of their funding comes from Medicaid, reimbursements for preventative care and Title X.  

Swapna Reddy, a clinical assistant professor at the College of Health Solutions, said the accessibility of health services is important in the ASU community.

“It’s vital for young women to understand the issues and get engaged — don’t take these rights for granted, know what is at stake and don’t let others make decisions for you,” Reddy said.

According to Planned Parenthood officials, ASU's PPGEN chapter is considered one of the top five such campus groups in the nation and continues to grow every year. The majority of those who seek the help of Planned Parenthood are young people between 18 and 34.

“It’s empowering having all grade levels involved and showing interest with a want to know and a want to help, to stand by PPAZ, to create a change and allow their voices to be heard,” Corbett said, “We strive to create an environment where students can feel safe and supported."

Reach the reporter at mfaulkn2@asu.edu or follow @mfaulkn2 on Twitter.

×