ASU women's golf finished fifth at Stanford Intercollegiate

Raquel Olmos helped lead the Sun Devils

Golf

ASU then-freshman Madison Kerley sinks the putt on the ninth green Friday, April 8, 2016, during the 2016 Ping ASU Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona.

The ASU women's golf team traveled to northern California over the weekend and tied for fifth with No. 25 Florida State at the Stanford Intercollegiate after shooting an 8-over-par 860 (290-285-285). 

The invitational hosted numerous ranked women's golf programs, which included No. 2 UCLA, No. 3 USC, No. 8 ASU, No. 12 Washington, No. 18 Northwestern and others. 

USC came away with the victory following an impressive performance from sophomores Alyaa Abdulghany and Jennifer Chang en route to their 15-under-par 837 (272-286-279).

The Sun Devils matched their round score from Saturday during their final round of the invitational, improving to a fifth place finish after a spectacular final round by sophomore Raquel Olmos, who shot a 4-under 67. That was one shot short of her career best at ASU. 

Olmos and junior Olivia Mehaffey led ASU, finishing tied for 13th at +1 for the tournament. Freshman Alexandra Forsterling finished one stroke behind her teammates at +2 (T-20), posting her first round under-par of her collegiate career. 

Senior Madison Kerley finished T-31 at +4 for the tournament as the last member of the countable four. 

ASU travels to Hawaii from Nov. 5-7 to participate in the Pac-12 Preview tournament with hopes of improving on their 6th place finish last year.

Reach the reporter at ccwill14@asu.edu or follow @chasewilliams_8 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×