ASU women's basketball brings down Kansas State Wildcats by double digits

The No. 17 Sun Devils allowed an early lead but went on to win a sixth straight game

110618WomensBasketballIncarnateWord46 (1)-2.jpg

ASU senior forward Sophia Elenga (21) shoots the ball against Incarnate Word at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018.

The No. 17 ASU women's basketball team improved to an 8-2 overall record after a 65-51 win over the Kansas State Wildcats (7-3) on Sunday.

Both teams were coming into the game with identical records, and also looking to extend their winning streaks.

After an early Wildcats lead and a tight first quarter, the Sun Devils were up 29-26 by halftime.

Kansas State and ASU battled it out in the third, tying the game early in the quarter at 31-31.

Minutes later, the Sun Devils would extend their biggest lead of the game when senior forward Sophia Elenga made a jump shot, giving the team a 40-32 lead.   

While the Wildcats slowly pounced back, cutting their deficit within four points, the Sun Devils would maintain possession with a 48-41 lead heading into the fourth quarter. 

The Wildcats started the quarter on the right foot, scoring four points in the early minutes.

A small, but costly error was made by Sun Devils' junior guard Robbi Ryan, who missed a pair of free throws that helped keep the Wildcats' hopes alive.

However, with under four minutes remaining, the Sun Devils' redshirt senior guard Courtney Ekmark made a jump shot of her own to give the Sun Devils' a comfortable 10-point lead into the end of the game.

It was all downhill for the Wildcats after Sun Devil junior guard Reili Richardson made four free throws, extending the ASU lead to 63-49.

While senior forward Kali Jones would land the last points for the Wildcats, Elenga's layup  sealed the deal for the Sun Devils' 65-51 win.

With a six-game win streak on their shoulders, ASU will make their way back to Wells Fargo Arena for one game against Fresno State on Thursday, Dec. 20 at 2 p.m. MST before heading on a three-game road trip.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×