ASU gymnastics team finishes second place at dual meet with BYU, Cal

Sophomore all-around Cairo Leonard-Baker continues to shine despite team's second-place finish

gymnastics-5.jpg

ASU now-senior all-around Cairo Leonard-Baker competes on the beam during a meet against Washington at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018.

The No. 19 ASU gymnastics team (4-3) saw highs and lows in its second-place 195.700 finish at its dual meet with the No. 14 BYU Cougars 194.975 and the No. 18 Cal Bears 196.700 on Saturday.

Although the Sun Devils left Northern California with their third consecutive second-place finish this season, sophomore all-around Cairo Leonard-Baker finished with a score of 9.825 or higher in every event. 

Leonard-Baker was tied for first place with a score of 9.825 on bars and finished second in all-around with 39.350. 

Both results were at or just behind scores posted by Cougar junior all-around Shannon Evans.

On the flip side, the Sun Devils' lowest scoring rotation of the night was seen on floor with 48.750, which had proven to be their strongest event a week prior.  

The Bears, which not only finished the night on top, also saw top scores on beam and floor routines.   

Cal senior Sofie Seilnacht notched a 9.925 on beam, tied for the highest score of the night and fifth-year Toni-Ann Williams finished with 9.900 on floor.

Meanwhile, the Cougars were busy putting in work on vault. With a score of 9.925, Evans took the crown in that rotation. 

ASU will return to Tempe for its Salute to Service meet against No. 24 Stanford on Friday, Feb. 10 at 4:00 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×