Video: The cost of fashion in college

From tuition to low wages, fashion lover Olivia Munson finds a way to buy her favorite clothes

olivia munson

Journalism sophomore and Chic Daily writer Olivia Munson chooses clothes at Urban Outfitters in downtown Phoenix, Arizona on Jan. 31, 2019. 

From paying for college tuition to not having consistent job hours, college students at ASU find themselves living in a tight budget. For journalism freshman, Chic Daily writer and fashion lover Olivia Munson, buying clothes is difficult but not impossible. 

Music: Endless Motion - Bensound 

Olivia Munson: My name's Olivia Munson. I'm a freshman. I study journalism -- my major is journalism. I currently write for the Chic Daily. I definitely am a bargain shopper. That's something that I've always grown up with. Like my mom and my grandma are the type of people who coupon. A lot of the stuff I get is on sale. I'm not really a full price girl. I feel like you can kind of express yourself through fashion, and especially since I'm a very outgoing person, I like to do that. 

I go with whatever catches my eye. But not in a bad way, because this catches my eye but not in a good way. 

Also, what I do to kind of save money is I sometimes wear men's clothes. Because often -- most of the time -- men's clothes will be cheaper than women's clothes. I feel like with clothes, you don't technically have to be a boy or a girl to wear certain things. If you like something, you should wear it. 

So, with blacks and whites, I have a lot of basic colors, but I try to deviate from that. So like with the sleeves and the neckline of this [shirt], it's really different. And I also like the texture of the lines on it. 

[Referring to the skirt] I like this rust color and again the pattern is a snake animal print. I feel like that's really cool. And BDG is also a really generally expensive brand. 

So, this is a prime example of trying on your clothes, because the skirt fits the way I thought it would, but this shirt is not what I thought it would be. It's going to be a nope for the shirt. 

You just got to go in hoping to find something, and if you don't find it, it'll just come the next time. 

×