ASU police arrested and released a Level 3 sex offender last weekend for reportedly loitering on campus and on Mill Avenue.

Eddie Ray Thompson, who also goes by Eddie Magoo, was first warned about trespassing on campus and loitering before his arrest, ASU police Lt. David Zimpfer said.

Zimpfer said Thompson was seen on campus on July 18 and has been in the area ever since.

Last week Tempe police also arrested Thompson for reportedly loitering and was held for a few days, Zimpfer said.

“They (Tempe) don’t want someone in their community to be his next victim,” he said.

Zimpfer said Thompson was quoted as saying, “You can’t keep me away from here (ASU).”

Thompson was convicted of molesting two elementary-aged boys in 1976. In 1980, he was convicted of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor when he kidnapped and sexually assaulted a 15-year-old girl. Four years later, he was convicted of rape when he entered an apartment and sexually assaulted the same victim from his 1980 conviction.

Tempe police Officer Jeff Lane said Thompson is in the highest level of sex offenders and a high risk to the community.

“It’s most likely he would be a repeat offender,” he said.

ASU police have been posting fliers around campus to let students know that Thompson is in the area, Zimpfer said.

The fliers include two photos of Thompson and his description: a 40-year-old black male, 5 feet 8 inches tall and living on the 2400 block of East Van Buren Street.

Zimpfer said students are encouraged to call the ASU Police Department at (480) 965-3456 if they see Thompson.

Reach Jennifer Voges at jennyvoges@hotmail.com.

×