The Arizona Board of Regents is expected to determine next week which ASU programs to cut due to a nearly $14 million budget reduction.

The plan will cut more than $11.4 million from ASU Main, $551,400 from ASU East and more than $1.6 million from ASU West.

The cutback is part of Gov. Jane Hull’s proposed 4 percent budget cut for all state agencies.

ABOR will meet Tuesday and Wednesday in the Memorial Union to address the budget cut issue.

ASU officials are in the process of putting together a plan that the board will accept, said ASU Provost Milton Glick.

“This will be a painful hit on our budget,” Glick said. “We are very concerned.”

Hull’s proposal is designed to make up for the general fund revenue estimate, which could be $200 million short of the expected total. The 4 percent cut would generate approximately $100 million.

Hull is expected to call a special session of the Legislature in November to discuss the reductions in the budget.

Matt Ortega, ABOR assistant executive director for public affairs, said all state agencies will have to participate in the cut, although the reaction from the board has been mixed.

“In light of the disasters of last week, it’s making Arizona’s already weak economy spiral,” Ortega said.

Ortega said the three universities make up 30 to 40 percent of the state budget expenditures. Glick said he is not sure if the amount Hull is requesting is right.

“We understand we have to do our fair share to help the state,” he said. “But that is a lot of money to take out of our budget.”

Under Hull’s plan, UA would have to cut $11.5 million and $2.4 million from its Arizona Health Sciences Center. NAU would have to eliminate $4.8 million.

ASU East Provost Charles Backus said that the campus is doing its part to cut expenses. East has left positions vacant when faculty and staff members leave or retire and they have stopped watering the grass on campus.

ASU East has been in financial trouble due to the increase in enrollment and the lack of funds. The campus is facing the possibility of putting a cap on enrollment.

Backus said he wonders if the budget cut proposal is fair.

“Why do the universities have to take all the hit?” he said.

Backus and Glick both said students and classes are the highest priority.

Reach Jennifer Voges at jennyvoges@hotmail.com.

×